MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Daughter just got drawn for FHL

smhoward27

Hi, my daughter got drawn for either sex deer hunt at Fort Hunter Ligget. I’ve tried to scope around online to see what I could find but not having much luck. The FHL website doesn’t give much info and to be honest I’m not the best at navigating on the computer so the site confuses me. I mean, I’m amazed I got here! I’ll know if I did it right by any replies! Just basically looking for any useful information or tips. This is her first deer hunt so I’m trying to prep for success. By looks of last years numbers the success rate is pretty high at 74% so I’m feeling pretty confident. Hunt is the weekends falling in October.
Thsnks, Shane

Hope someone here can give you first hand experience. I haven't hunted there myself, but I know a couple people that have hunted there multiple times and from the sounds of it there are lots of deer (and pigs) to go after out there. One thing I will say is to get a map of the "zones" within the the base because there are times where certain ones are closed to hunting due to military training/exercises.

Good luck!

+1. Be sure to get your base hunting pass and your vehicle pass. You will need to fill out some forms and pass the background check.
FHL has some good bucks and they will be rutting for sure. I will PM you a few zones that hopefully are open for the youth hunt that should definitely have some deer to hunt.

Thanks so much for the replies. I’ve already put in the “vetting forms” which I believe are the background checks. I also put in the firearm registration and put in vehicle information. I think I’m all done for what I need filing out. My daughter already has her clearance as I got an email so I can buy her permit. I put my stuff in last week so if I’ve not heard anything by Friday I’ll give a call. I know it takes a little time. We’re really looking forward to this hunt. I’m at the stage now where I get most joy just bringing the kids hunting and watching them learn and succeed.
thanks again

I used to hunt there when I was in high school. I don't know how dry it is in CA right now but maybe try to hunt the units with creeks/ponds, and have backup areas in mind in case your first choice units are closed.

So we’re all set. All forms and permits completed. Looking forward to this hunt for my daughter. Just got the map that shows open areas. Now I’ll be heading from SF Bay Area so I figure I just head 101 south to Jolan rd. Does that bring me to the main entrance? Is this where if need to check in?

Attachments

• 88225EB1-3595-44F9-9ECA-F5AA1973665C.jpeg
    88225EB1-3595-44F9-9ECA-F5AA1973665C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
So we’re all set. All forms and permits completed. Looking forward to this hunt for my daughter. Just got the map that shows open areas. Now I’ll be heading from SF Bay Area so I figure I just head 101 south to Jolan rd. Does that bring me to the main entrance? Is this where if need to check in?
Hi, new to the area, and looking at public land to hunt. Did you have any luck here?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back