Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Danner Pronghorn thoughts

They're decent boots. They're fairly soft as a "mountain boot" Even with the 10" height (I think that's what it is) there isn't a ton of support. Wouldn't be bad for say a late season mule deer hunt in more gentle terrain, but I wouldn't use them for a backcountry elk hunt in steep terrain or something like that.
I agree with nrpate05 on the 'softness' - in my case - I have wide feet and my right foot is slightly larger than my left so have a tough time with boot fit, the Pronghorns broke in REALLY quickly and have been excellent for 3.5 years.

I haven't had huge issues with ankle support and no leaking, but after several hundred miles they are toast. Not unexpected for boots in that price range and the amount of abuse I put them through the last 3 seasons.

I got a pair of Crispi's last winter as a gift and while I definitely see the huge difference in stability and grip, I am having a really tough time breaking them in with the hard 'cup' around the heel. Going through a lot of Moleskin so far and may just have to go back to Pronghorns on a 3 year cycle.

I got a pair of 400 gram 8” pronghorns circa 2001. Wore them hunting hard for 5 years no leaks. I loved them so I bought a pair of uninsulated 6” pronghorns for Archery and turkey hunting. They leaked the first year. I also got an 800 gram 8” that lasted one winter and leaked the second winter. The price went up too. I paid $99 bucks at a sale for my first pair. Now they are close to $200.
I don’t know what happened if they changed manufacturers or what but IMO they went from a great boot for the price to overpriced junk.

Danners served me well up to the time I upgraded to Kenetrek & Lowa, both of which have proven a value for performance and longevity of hard use.

They didnt fit my feet right. They where tough to get on and I didnt think they had enough materal in the tongue.
I hated mine and switched to Meindl. Happy now. My Cuzin bought some pronghorns about the same time I did and he really loves his. I wouldn't condemn all Danner boots based on the pronghorns.

I ended up purchasing a pair of Crispi Hunter GTX. They look and feel like a solid boot. Ive been wearing them to work in order to break them in. Happy so far. Thank you all for your replies.

Maybe that is why they are sold on Camofire so often. I have used Danner Ft. Lewis boots a lot over the years and really liked them. I got them on a uniform allowance years ago and finally gave my last set to my kid as a back up boot, for his fire fighting. It is funny how some companies will build a good boot and then another model is not too great.

I have both a pair of Danner "Pronghorns" and a pair of Danner "Super Rain forest". The Pronghorns are lighter but IMHO do not offfer much support and are lacking in quality. I have flat arches and the Pronghorns hurt my feet after about five hours. My Super Rain Forest pair on the other hand are heavy, have great support, and do not make my feet hurt. That is just me someone else will be very satisfied with the Pronghorn boot.

I have had a pair for 14 years now that I still use on early hunts. I have never had them leak. I am meticulous about putting Obenauf's on my boot between each hunt. This keeps the Leather from drying and cracking, or allowing moisture through. I have a second pair for three years now. Been on multiple wet and snowy hunts. They have not leaked at all. They are soft as some people mentioned. Sometimes I would like a little more rigid boot, but it never bothers me bad enough that I feel I need to spend double the price for a different boot. Seems like there is a lot of bad reviews for them on here, but I love mine, and until they let me down and leak within a few years of purchase, I will not be switching anytime soon.

If you’re gonna buy Danner you gotta buy a boot from one of their MADE IN USA lines. The Pronghorn is a boot that is made in China and gets a Danner label sewed on it. Real Danners are probably as good as the other top brands(Kenetrek, Schnees, Crispi etc) but I cant say for sure because I’ve only worn Danners. My current pair are the East Ridge. I’ve had them close to four years, and by my rough count between 500 and 750 miles. I abuse them, I’ve only oiled them once, I don’t wash them off or dry them quickly. They would be in much better shape if I treated them properly. I popped some stitching last year, just kept slinging through mud and water, and my feet never got wet in spite of it. I sewed them back up for this year. I have nothing against Kenetrek, or Schnees, and maybe they really are better, but 90% of the Danner hate that I encounter come from people who experienced Chinese Danners. US made Danners(especially those also made with US components) are priced similarly to Schnees, and Kenetrek, and are a in a completely different class than Chinese Danners. Don’t buy Pronghorns. They guy that’s had them for 14 years probably bought them before they were made in China.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back