Caribou Gear

Dad's NV buck

Fantastic rack. Anything interesting about the stalk or getting to the start of the hunt? Sometimes the story is as interesting as the pictures.

To answer everyone's questions, I'm not a biologist, but I would say he was 7 or 8 based on his teeth. Last weekend we passed on some 150 type 4 points, and a 3 point that would have been pushing 160. Though about the 3 point a lot over the course of the week. Saturday called for snow, and we were excited. When I woke up, the forecast had changed to 60 degrees and a chance of rain. I was bummed. Anyways, we get set up before dark and I am seeing more and more deer as the sun rises. I was positive there was a buck fight going on...turns out it was just a huge doe with the most buck like movements I have ever seen, if that makes sense. About 9am it started raining...which turned to snow...which turned to 50 yard visibility and are we going to make it up these hills. Anyways we did, but the ride home on the highway wasn't fun.

Saturday night I kept seeing photos of the snow piling up on the mountain passes, and we decided to bag it Sunday. Staying home and watching football sounded like a better idea than driving 2 hours going 35.

Monday morning came, and I figured I knew exactly where the snow would push the deer. Spent a couple hours in there. And didn't even spot a doe. Went to the next spot and more of the same. However, it was quickly turning into a muddy mess. I wanted to take a direct route to where we would hunt that evening. However, once there, decided not to tear the roads up. Instead, we made a 3 hour loop to where I wanted to be for the evening. Lots of antelope and coyotes provided the afternoon entertainment.

Once off the main road, things went smoothly...until we neared where I wanted to hunt. You could see someone had been in there the day before, with chains. I had them in the back of the truck, but figured we should be ok. A couple of near misses into some ditches, and we had arrived at our spot.

Like clockwork, the deer began showing up in the glass. Lots of does...with little bucks that live with them year round. Then a decent 4 point sniffing around some does pretty hard. Good sign. I got excited! We moved to a different vantage point, and I saw white butts on the hill. Doe, Doe, Doe..as I worked my way into the shadows, I spotted him. We discussed whether he was a shooter for 2 seconds and a game plan was formed.

Working our way up the rolling hills seemed like it took a matter of minutes. Until we spotted the does on the ridge, 200 yards away, staring right at us. Everything slowed to a crawl, and then he appeared. We were pinned down, however, looking back, I think we blended in a lot better than they did, being skylined. My dad asked for a range, squeezed one off, and the rest is history.

My dad broke his back in 1987 on a 4 wheeler, and it has really caught up to him the last few years. I could not be more proud of the way he kept up and got it done during crunch time!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnbighunter
Back