Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Dad wants to hunt elk..

I don't have many specific options to offer, but I will just say that my dad ran out of health about same age as your dad is. We were fortunate to have a few years of western elk hunting before that happened. Find a way, even if it might not be the ideal situation. I'd absolutely consider hiring an outfitter. I'd give anything to be able to go on another hunt with him.

Maybe ranching for wildlife hunt in Colorado. Or pickup a late season cow elk tag in new mexico through an outfitter.
Utah has a few very affordable cow tags on some ranches in the NE corner. That are about the most reasonable prices I’ve seen. Still kinda steep in certain spots but with side by side and ATV could probably glass about 60% of your hunt area at once. Also the areas pretty cool lost in time I’ve never hunted it but went fly fishing up there and most the people really chill and welcoming. If you must go for a bull. I think a late rifle with snow pushing them down sounds like the best.

Utah has a few very affordable cow tags on some ranches in the NE corner. That are about the most reasonable prices I’ve seen. Still kinda steep in certain spots but with side by side and ATV could probably glass about 60% of your hunt area at once. Also the areas pretty cool lost in time I’ve never hunted it but went fly fishing up there and most the people really chill and welcoming. If you must go for a bull. I think a late rifle with snow pushing them down sounds like the best
NW corner sorry up by Montello NV

It would be more than a branch elk but easy and some coin. I would suggest a ranch in New Mexico. I hunted the Chase Ranch with pack-n-horns as a last minute replacement for archery. Had 375+ bull according to guide 1st and last night 100 yards away. The last night was in a tree stand over an alfalfa field. Called him 800 yards dow the field and some cows came in behind me that I never saw and busted me. I wish I had a decoy and a garmin sight back then. Find a ranch especially with fields they come and eat in and it can become more like whitetail hunting. Following this thread cause dad is 72 and has run out of health. 4 years ago after 3 days hunting unit 70 muzzleloader he was done. Took 2 days off and hunted 1 more day. Want to find a place where you see antelope and elk. He could barely do antelope last year. He has 19 points Colorado but will probably never use them.

I’m not sure how to word this all but here goes....

Dad wants to hunt elk together. I’m hoping for 2022 season which puts him at 69 years old. 2 replaced knees and he’s had a broken back so LONG hikes would be tough unless it’s mild terrain.

At application time in 2022 I’ll have 5 points in Wyoming and he’ll have 2 but definitely open to other states.

All we’ll be looking for is a branch antlered bull.

I guess I’m looking for suggestions. I’ve been researching Colorado but I’m afraid the terrain would be too hard for him.

I think we’d definitely be open to trespassing fees for access but would still like to stay DIY.

ANY suggestions to help in my research?

This sounds like another “where’s your spot” (I hate to even ask honestly but have to narrow things down fairly quickly) post but I don’t mean it like that. I was a bit caught off guard by him wanting to hunt elk as he’s not shown interest in it in years past 😁.

Thanks all, I appreciate any advice or direction you may have.
So how did it go? The NM reservations have affordable cow hunts about $650 you might consider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back