Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

D Day

Anyone know why it is called dday?

D-day, H-hour, etc are a method used by the military to synchronize events for an operation where the exact execution time/date is not yet known. It is basically a benchmark. You can then use D-4 for a task that needs to be accomplished 4 days prior, or D+2 for something that needs to happen 2 days after that benchmark.

I posted it somewhere else here, but there's a great documentary called "Hang Tough" centered on Dick Winters, CO of 506th Easy Company 101st Airborne.
It's around on several streaming platforms. Narrated by Damien Lewis, who played Winters in "Band of Brothers".
Didn't know this existed. Sounds great. I will have to check that one out. Thanks for the tip!

Marv, if you have time, and don't mind sharing, what are those awards? I know 2 Purple Hearts.

Longbow, kinda lengthy but from what I’ve gathered info on (Pop kept all his stuff in a box and rarely talked about the war even though he lasted into his 80s and was still packing shrapnel in his hand, neck, and shoulder when he passed) here is a bit of background:

63507A16-9F81-4153-B9E4-4095AA0C62BE.jpeg

From left to right across the top;

Honorable Discharge patch, US Army 15th Airforce Infantry Division patch, Army division collar pin, various campaign and ribbons bars that went with the medals, Combat Infantry Badge, Aviation division collar pin, PFC service year bars.

Medals/badges across middle are:

The Army of Occupation Medal- recognizing those who had performed occupation service in either Germany, Italy, Austria, or Japan during WW2.

The European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal plus 3 stars on the ribbon signifying the 3 campaigns he fought in within those European theaters during WW2.
Purple Heart for injuries suffered during a mortar attack

Marksmanship Badges; there were three levels, Marksman (lowest), Sharpshooter, Expert (highest). He had earned Expert ranking with rifle, carbine, and machine gun.

World War II Victory Medal (Self explanatory)

Purple Heart for injuries suffered during a sniper attack

The American Campaign Medal - granted to personnel who served one year of consecutive duty within the continental boarders of the U.S., as well 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days of duty outside the borders of the U.S. during WW2.
Good conduct medal issued to those of exemplary behavior for a minimum of three consecutive years of service to the Army.

I’ve got a few more patches of his to mount when I straighten things up inside the case. I also have a very small collection of German medals and badges that he brought back as well. Don’t know a thing about them (what they signified to the Germans that is) other than he carried them to remember an encounter where his machine gunner buddy saved his life. It was something I never knew about until after he had passed and was told to me by my uncle. A tad too graphic to post here.

I’ve got a family member that died on D Day. He was a paratrooper in the 82nd, they got scattered all over hell and creation, he regrouped with his men, and then he met his maker leading his troops through the infamous hedge rows on the morning of D Day. Still have a copy of the letter from his commanding officer, it mentions how they discouraged the men from writing home before the attack.

I look at the photo with Eisenhower and all those airborne troops and all I can think of is Dale Dean, and what was going through his mind before he got on that plane.

Longbow, kinda lengthy but from what I’ve gathered info on (Pop kept all his stuff in a box and rarely talked about the war even though he lasted into his 80s and was still packing shrapnel in his hand, neck, and shoulder when he passed) here is a bit of background:

View attachment 225150

From left to right across the top;

Honorable Discharge patch, US Army 15th Airforce Infantry Division patch, Army division collar pin, various campaign and ribbons bars that went with the medals, Combat Infantry Badge, Aviation division collar pin, PFC service year bars.

Medals/badges across middle are:

The Army of Occupation Medal- recognizing those who had performed occupation service in either Germany, Italy, Austria, or Japan during WW2.

The European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal plus 3 stars on the ribbon signifying the 3 campaigns he fought in within those European theaters during WW2.
Purple Heart for injuries suffered during a mortar attack

Marksmanship Badges; there were three levels, Marksman (lowest), Sharpshooter, Expert (highest). He had earned Expert ranking with rifle, carbine, and machine gun.

World War II Victory Medal (Self explanatory)

Purple Heart for injuries suffered during a sniper attack

The American Campaign Medal - granted to personnel who served one year of consecutive duty within the continental boarders of the U.S., as well 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days of duty outside the borders of the U.S. during WW2.
Good conduct medal issued to those of exemplary behavior for a minimum of three consecutive years of service to the Army.

I’ve got a few more patches of his to mount when I straighten things up inside the case. I also have a very small collection of German medals and badges that he brought back as well. Don’t know a thing about them (what they signified to the Germans that is) other than he carried them to remember an encounter where his machine gunner buddy saved his life. It was something I never knew about until after he had passed and was told to me by my uncle. A tad too graphic to post here.

I was previewing a house for sale once where the old man who owned it had died and his heirs were cleaning out and selling the place, and they were just tossing everything in the garbage. Based on the age of the sellers the old man was probably WWII age, and I while I was walking around I saw his US Army collar pin in a pile of trash on the counter. I went back for a showing a few days later and the pin was now in the garbage pile on the floor, it made me so sad to see it there, so I took it. It rides around in my truck with me and I look at it once in a while, I always wonder what kind of soldier the guy was and where he traveled with the Army...

My Dad told us interesting stories about 82nd training but he never talked about jumping in or the fighting. My brother and I never asked. We got bits of info from our granny and uncles but not much.
Much respect, I was in the 82nd for awhile during OIF and it’s amazing how many people don’t know the insane history of the jumps during the WW2… guess that band of brothers show made the 101st seem more famous but it’s far from the truth of it

My grandpa was a combat medic in WWII. He was a jumper with the 101st. His company didn't jump on D-day, think it was day after or 2 days after that they jumped. He made it through the war, received numerous medals. I was born the year after he passed away from complications from the war so I never got to meet him. I was told he also never talked about the war but when he got drunk he would start singing "Blood on the Risers".

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back