Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

CVA Wolf

I shoot an Optima V2. Had a single ragged hole 3 shot group with 68gr by weight of Blackhorn 209, 300gr Scorpion pt Gold, with Harvester Black Crush Rib sabot, CCI 209m primer.

Gonna mess with higher powder charges this winter, but that load was so accurate I went with it. Worked on a cow elk in late September.

105gr by volume (73.5 weighed) BH209, 290gr barnes TMZ. Groups opened up when I tried going higher. I can take some pictures of the bullets after they went through elk if you want.

Last edited:
I gotta put out there, in Montana you can only use lead bullets. I understand Sabots are OK, but the bullet has to be lead. I have some 275grn Maxi-Hunters sitting around, the shoot sort of OK in my Hawken, I might start with those just because they're here. Ever shoot these?

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a CVA Wolf.

You CVA shooters, what do you recommend for load - powder, pellets, bullet, etc?
Just worked up a load for my friend Adam and it ended up being both 250 grain Hornady SST with 90 grain BH 209. And the second load that the rifle really liked was 290 grain Barnes with 100 grain BH 209. Make sure you buy the BH209 breech plug or you'll have failure to fire here and there. We swab between shots with a bore snake.
Enjoy your rifle it's a handy little fella and comes to the shoulder like a well balanced shotgun or model 94. Wonderful gun for packing and brush country or big woods.

I gotta put out there, in Montana you can only use lead bullets. I understand Sabots are OK, but the bullet has to be lead. I have some 275grn Maxi-Hunters sitting around, the shoot sort of OK in my Hawken, I might start with those just because they're here. Ever shoot these?

I guess I should have figured out that you were in Montana on my own...
No experience with the maxi hunters, tried some "no excuses" bullets this year. They are full bore cast lead 420gr and shot amazingly well. They offer a sizing pack so you can order the diameter that fits best.

I picked up a wolf a couple of seasons ago for my oldest son. He’s shooting 245gr. Power belt hp out of it with 100 gr of white hots (2 - 50gr pellets). He’s getting 3” groups at 100 with that combo and has taken 2 deer with it already.

I feel I might have read somewhere that these modern inlines with a 1:28 twist are recommended for lighter bullets (in muzzleloader terms) and pellets instead of lose powder. That right?

I feel I might have read somewhere that these modern inlines with a 1:28 twist are recommended for lighter bullets (in muzzleloader terms) and pellets instead of lose powder. That right?
I believe it’s sub 400 grains for bullets. However, I’m not sure why anyone would need anything bigger than a 295gr. bullet ever. As for powder, you can shoot the loose stuff, the convenience of the pellets though is nice. I also like the white hot pellets since they burn cleaner, even much more so than pyrodex and 777.

My CVA Optima shoots 247 grain solid copper Thor bullets really well with 120 grain (volume) of Pyrodex Select. It seems odd to me that Montana would not allow copper bullets with all the anti lead talk going on. If you ever plan on using it in another state I would highly recommend the Thors...

I believe it’s sub 400 grains for bullets. However, I’m not sure why anyone would need anything bigger than a 295gr. bullet ever. As for powder, you can shoot the loose stuff, the convenience of the pellets though is nice. I also like the white hot pellets since they burn cleaner, even much more so than pyrodex and 777.
I agree. I went from BH209 to 777 pellets. May have to try white hots. For now I shoot 2x777 magnums for 120 gr behind a 250 SST out of my Optima V2. Very accurate gun. I like the Barnes TMZ too but they’re expensive.

Mine seems to like everything from 80-105gr. Things start opening up after that.
I fixed the weight-volume measurement, 105 by volume is 73.5 weighed.
I am still tinkering with different lengths on my front sight in combination with different loads. Gotta get it dialed in before I finally draw my muzzy elk tag. I also shoot a powerbelt since I am in CO. Sorry I didn't notice that in my first post. Still, a very similar and tried and true set up!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back