Caribou Gear

“Custom” rifle build

2BrownDogs

New guy here. Looking forward to being a part of Hunt Talk nation.

Im looking to build a custom, or semi custom rifle for a MAX budget of $2500 pre optics, I really need to keep it at $2k, for western big game hunting shooting out to probably 600-800 yards max. Calibers being considered; 28 and 30 Nosler, .300 weatherby, .300 PRC. Admittedly, I like hot, fast rounds that not everyone has.
An added caveat is I think I really want a thumbhole stock. My trigger finger lost a fight with a table saw in 2012, and I feel like the thumb hole stock would allow me a better wrist alignment and smoother, straighter pull, although this is just a theory as I’ve never owned one or even held one; I can’t find anyone locally who has one. I’ve got some ideas in mind but I’m curious to hear any input on parts or gunsmiths that you’ve worked with that may be able to help me out. TIA.

At that price point I would find a donor action, have it trued, pick up a Krieger, Bartlein, mullerworks, obermeyer, or hawk hill barrel, trigger tech trigger, and stock of your choice. I’d find a smith locally if you can but it’s no big deal to ship if you have to. Another option would be to go with a barrel nut and fit it yourself.

You may want to look at the Proof Research Elation, I’m not sure a thumb hole stock is available. It may be at the top of your goal budget.

At that price point I would find a donor action, have it trued, pick up a Krieger, Bartlein, mullerworks, obermeyer, or hawk hill barrel, trigger tech trigger, and stock of your choice. I’d find a smith locally if you can but it’s no big deal to ship if you have to. Another option would be to go with a barrel nut and fit it yourself.

I’m basically a rookie at doing any sort of work on rifles outside of mounting scopes. Im a fairly mechanical guy but with something that takes precision like rifles I’d be hesitant.
As for the action, I feel like by the time I pick up a LA magnum 700 action, have it trued and scope bases installed, I can buy a bighorn origin or a defiant tenacity for around the same price, ~$900 or so is what I’ve been quoted by smiths so far.

You can pick up a Rem 700 at Walmart for around $300. You can strip it down to the action and send it out to get it rebarreled with one of the fore mentioned barrel makers. $250 for truing the action, $350 for chambering, and $400 for a barrel. You can find a gun Smith to try different stocks out but a McMillan’s palm swell will probably fit you nice. For a good lightweight Stock your around $5-600. For a total of $1900. Options from there are a trigger upgrade, Cerakote, or paying to have the gunsmith bed it for around $200 each. I would do the bedding and Cerakote. Then have them adjust the factory trigger. Easy to upgrade that later if you want.

Your into a custom gun for $2300 that will do what your asking.

Last edited:
Manners EH5 would be my personal pick for a thumbhole hunting stock. It comes standard w/ cheek hardware now for $1K but I’d forego it and save $350 or so.

But overall for the dollar the Fieldcraft is gonna be real tough to beat.

If you do go the Manners EH5 route, give plenty of time for it. I’m going on eight months waiting for my EH1. They’re sweet stocks though.

If you do go the Manners EH5 route, give plenty of time for it. I’m going on eight months waiting for my EH1. They’re sweet stocks though.
Wow that’s crazy. Last Manners I ordered was on the ready to inlet list, I got spoiled!

If it were me, i'd find a used Savage magnum. Sell barrel & stock.
Lap the bolt lugs, screw on a barrel, stock of choice and be done with it!
You can easily do the work yourself in your basement with hand tools.

I’m basically a rookie at doing any sort of work on rifles outside of mounting scopes. Im a fairly mechanical guy but with something that takes precision like rifles I’d be hesitant.
As for the action, I feel like by the time I pick up a LA magnum 700 action, have it trued and scope bases installed, I can buy a bighorn origin or a defiant tenacity for around the same price, ~$900 or so is what I’ve been quoted by smiths so far.

Yeah that’s pretty accurate. Depending on what action you go with you can even get shouldered prefits. Just thread it on and go. I wouldn’t be to worried about working on your own gun either. Some guys make it out to be some sort of voodoo but a little mechanical aptitude and an eye for detail is all it takes.

IMO if you like fast hot rounds no one has, you should go 300 norma mag improved. You can push a bullet fast, accurate all without running top load. Though this requires a Lapua bolt face.

If you want a custom rifle don't buy a factory action, buy a custom action. It will be better quality and cheaper in the long run after you buy a factory action and then have to have it trued. I would go with a Stiller, bighorn or gunwerks action. Even if you buy the cheapest R700 you can find, it won't be as nice and smooth as a new custom.

Barrels I would go Kreiger, lilja, Bartlein, Rock creek

Timmeny or jewel trigger

Stock, manners, HS precision, Mcmillan

IMO if you like fast hot rounds no one has, you should go 300 norma mag improved. You can push a bullet fast, accurate all without running top load. Though this requires a Lapua bolt face.

If you want a custom rifle don't buy a factory action, buy a custom action. It will be better quality and cheaper in the long run after you buy a factory action and then have to have it trued. I would go with a Stiller, bighorn or gunwerks action. Even if you buy the cheapest R700 you can find, it won't be as nice and smooth as a new custom.

Barrels I would go Kreiger, lilja, Bartlein, Rock creek

Timmeny or jewel trigger

Stock, manners, HS precision, Mcmillan

All good advice here. Only thing I would change is the jewel. If you hear of a trigger malfunction it’s usually a jewel. For a hunting gun, I’d go a different route on the trigger

For the money a $300 Rem 700 that is blueprinted and timed for $350 is just as good as a custom action and cheaper for his budget. He isn’t counting X’s at 1000 yards, there is no reason not to use a factory action.

Here is the list from a custom rifle I got too impatient with and bought a Begara Premier instead:

Action: Defiant Tenacity
Action Metal: stainless steel (satin finish)
Chambering: 280AI
Barrel Length: 24"
Barrel Maker: Bartlein
Barrel Contour: #4 Bull Sporter (0.750” diameter at muzzle)
Barrel Twist: 1:8.5
Barrel Metal: stainless steel (satin finish)
Muzzle: 11 degree crown, 5/8" threading + knurled thread cover
Stock: McMillan Game Scout
Magazine type: BDL
Trigger: TriggerTech Special, no bolt release, curved trigger
BDL Metal Manufacturer: PTG (satin stainless)

For you sounds like a boyd's thumbhole stock might be a good option, as with a file you can form the stock to fit your grip perfectly & then just touch up the finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back