Cursing My Blessings

thomas89

As life would have it, the family has moved back to Wyoming for a bit. After several years living in pretty much the polar opposite to this place (politics, weather, population, etc.), I had given up on ever being a resident again and bought into the preference point gig. I had all my plans laid out short/long/midterm goals, only to have my few points and plans dashed away and find myself applying as a resident again this coming year.

Having done my research as a non-resident, there are several units I was really excited about the potential to hunt in the future. As a resident my points for deer/antelope/elk are up in smoke, and I find myself having to throw in with a random draw. Herein lies the problem, I am splitting hairs in the random draw, do I go for this one with a 17% chance? Or this unit with a 9%, but then there's those full-price cow tags that I am guaranteed to draw in either unit as a first choice? And that's only for elk, haven't even started to sort it out for deer and antelope. I had given up on moose, sheep, and goats before I left the first time.

At the end of the day, there's always a general tag for deer and elk, and my odds for lots of antelope units are certainly confidence-inducing. I am also not naive enough to think this is an ACTUAL problem in life, just sorting through this binder of notes.

This doggo sure likes being back though.

Attachments

• IMG_9184.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_9184.HEIC.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 17
I put in for (and fail to draw) home run units that I really want to hunt. Places I’d enjoy experiencing while digging around for a bigger class bull. There are some places I just have little desire to spend days and days, even if the trophy ceiling is high.
I should clarify, that’s how I approach the 5% vs 3% vs 8% draw type question. Which place do I really want to explore.

Last edited:
I put in for (and fail to draw) home run units that I really want to hunt. Places I’d enjoy experiencing while digging around for a bigger class bull. There are some places I just have little desire to spend days and days, even if the trophy ceiling is high.
I should clarify, that’s how I approach the 5% vs 3% vs 8% draw type question. Which place do I really want to explore.
This is good advice, I like that thought process. I find myself really wanting to take advantage of this time back here and take an elk each year, so am a bit stuck in a harvest being the measure for success. Perhaps I’m wanting it too bad and need to get back in the mindset of armed hiking.

Thankfully the hunting is pretty good, so the armed hiking has fair odds of success. That and early or late season type 6 options for an emphasis on meat.

There definitely are some low draw odd, not-so-scenic places to shoot giant bulls.

I don't know your situation, so this is just a general question. The regulations state you have to be domiciled in Wyoming for one full year before the application to apply as a resident. In the meantime, would someone who just moved to Wyoming still apply for and use built up points as a nonresident? That's how I read it. Again, I don't know how long you have been back in Wyoming, so I don't know if this applies.

I don't know your situation, so this is just a general question. The regulations state you have to be domiciled in Wyoming for one full year before the application to apply as a resident. In the meantime, would someone who just moved to Wyoming still apply for and use built up points as a nonresident? That's how I read it. Again, I don't know how long you have been back in Wyoming, so I don't know if this applies.
My particular situation is 90 days. And losing points after 2 years of not applying (for elk, antelope, deer), just in time for me to be leaving again and start from scratch. Oh well, we all have our crosses to bear.

My particular situation is 90 days. And losing points after 2 years of not applying (for elk, antelope, deer), just in time for me to be leaving again and start from scratch. Oh well, we all have our crosses to bear.

So, will you be applying as a resident or non-resident this year? My interpretation is that you will still have to apply as a non-resident this year since you will not be domiciled 1 full year before the application date. So, you could use those non-resident points this year. It may hamper your medium/long term (non-resident) goals when you leave again, but at least you won't completely lose your points.

Last edited:
So, will you be applying as a resident or non-resident this year? My interpretation is that you will still have to apply as a non-resident this year since you will not be domiciled 1 full year before the application date. So, you could use those non-resident points this year. It may hamper your medium/long term (non-resident) goals when you leave again, but at least you won't completely lose your points.
No I will gain residency after 90 days. I did call game and fish, wish there was a way around it but no dice. I was in a bit of no man’s land with points for the high point draw units, and the cost difference in non-resident tags makes it worth it to just eat the few points I’ve had saved up.

No I will gain residency after 90 days. I did call game and fish, wish there was a way around it but no dice. I was in a bit of no man’s land with points for the high point draw units, and the cost difference in non-resident tags makes it worth it to just eat the few points I’ve had saved up.
Wish that rule applied to us reservists! I was stationed in Cheyenne for a number of years active duty. Loved it despite the hail and wind.

I'll be in Wyo in a week or so, had a virtual job interview a few weeks ago and now the in-person. Housing market is scary up and down the front range and into Wyo.

As a resident, I did a similar route as SnowyMountaineer. Always shot for the moon first choice them general as a second for Elk and Deer. I put access (including walk-in & HMA) first and then trophy potential. I never did draw a first choice elk, but man, had a lot of fun on those first choice antelope units I drew.

The odd thing of going from a resident to a NR and back to a resident is the Moose and Big Horn points. I was able to retain those when I left but had to pay NR fees for the points after. Kept those and looking forward to the decrease in price if all goes well.

Good luck and welcome back to Wyo!

Last edited:
Wish that rule applied to us reservists! I was stationed in Cheyenne for a number of years active duty. Loved it despite the hail and wind.

I'll be in Wyo in a week or so, had a virtual job interview a few weeks ago and now the in-person. Housing market is scary up and down the front range and into Wyo.

As a resident, I did a similar route as SnowyMountaineer. Always shot for the moon first choice them general as a second for Elk and Deer. I put access (including walk-in & HMA) first and then trophy potential. I never did draw a first choice elk, but man, had a lot of fun on those first choice antelope units I drew.

The odd thing of going from a resident to a NR and back to a resident is the Moose and Big Horn points. I was able to retain those when I left but had to pay NR fees for the points after. Kept those and looking forward to the decrease in price if all goes well.

Good luck and welcome back to Wyo!
Thanks, it's nice to be back! The house hunt was ... interesting. We were able to find something we could make work.

As of now, my elk plan is low-odds first choice, type 4 second choice (usually 50%+ odds on those as a 2nd), then general. I drew type 1 tag at 6% odds in 2014 on my first try for it...no dice the next few years I lived here. Deer definitely shooting for the moon, but can still get that general. Haven't poked around much with the antelope other than the units close to Cheyenne, might as well throw my hat in the ring for some of the tags in the central part of the state.

I gave up on the M/S/G points years ago and instead invest that money I'd spend on points. Definitely will throw in for the random tags while here...someones got to get lucky.

Thanks, it's nice to be back! The house hunt was ... interesting. We were able to find something we could make work.

As of now, my elk plan is low-odds first choice, type 4 second choice (usually 50%+ odds on those as a 2nd), then general. I drew type 1 tag at 6% odds in 2014 on my first try for it...no dice the next few years I lived here. Deer definitely shooting for the moon, but can still get that general. Haven't poked around much with the antelope other than the units close to Cheyenne, might as well throw my hat in the ring for some of the tags in the central part of the state.

I gave up on the M/S/G points years ago and instead invest that money I'd spend on points. Definitely will throw in for the random tags while here...someones got to get lucky.
It was an eye opener once I drew an antelope unit away from the east side of the state. Although I had fun and filled tags on the east side, the hunting, access and quality sky rockets going west.

Back