Curs?

josh

I know I might get hammered on this but, have any of you ever tied a cur? Mountain Cur,Kemmer, Blackmouth,leoppard, or any other?
I owned a blackmouth and and was, somewhat less than impressed... NOT a good huntin dog, slick treed, if he would tree at all! Just wondering if anyone has ever had a cur they liked?

Josh,I had a leopard cur bear dog last season.She was a 6 yr old finished bear dog.I paid pretty good money for her.
She was a decent dog.She struck from the rig,hot tracks only.Off a bait she had a medium nose.Open mouth and average speed.Handled good.On tough tracks through rough country I dont think she had the drive my hounds do.She was a good tree dog.
All in all she was a pretty good dog.I didnt care for her cur mouth and she wasnt as tough as I like.I bought her as a backup start dog/pack dog and she did the job.I sold her at the end of the season to a guy in California who is happy with her.I think their country where he hunts is more open.Also I know there are more bears there.I only keep 2 or 3 bear dogs through the off season or I would probably have kept her.She was easy to take care of and never caused any problems.I sold her for about 900 I think which wasnt too much less than I paid.She helped me take some bear so I figure she didnt hurt me any money wise.
Would I buy another cur?Sure ,if it was what I am looking for.I am definatly a hound man but I am also a realist.Whatever works the way I want it too is ok with me.If you showed me a collie dog that had a good mouth,good nose and was a super bear dog I would probably own him too.I think.......

I know alot of people who use Mtn Curs and love them. I just picked up an 8 mos old female that im gonna work on decoyin coyote and also to run lion at this point in time she is as good as any of the hounds I have had at this age .We'll see if she makes the cut on lion by the end of next season.

------------------
If there isn't any dogs in heaven .....IAINT GOIN

Wolfer-Cant remeber if I Wecomed you to Moosies forum or not, but Welcome anyway. I have heard of alot of folks plum happy with their cur dogs. From what I have heard cur dogs are fairly quiet on the trail, and I like my dogs to be relatively quiet on the trail! Seems like since some of my noisier dogs have passed on, our chases havent been nearly as long and drawn out. Might be coincidence, might be something to it! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

I joke about curs and plott hounds, but I Never had one worth a sh!t to talk about! I guess a few folks have and are hard to them as i am with the black and bkue hounds. '

I would reckon if you broke them to hunt your way and were happy with them, I would say stay with it.
One thing for sure is believing in your hounds!!
Thump

------------------
sneaky.gif

IF YA CAN'T RUN WITH THE BIG DAWGS, KEEP YOUR ARSE ON THE PORCH

http://www.geocities.com/thumper_67.geo

Back