Critique My Backpack

np307

So here's the background: I live and hunt in the Southeast. I'm looking at getting out West this year for antelope and elk in the future. This past season I started pushing further back on public land around here and decided to try packing any harvests out. I managed to take a doe and packed her out on my fledgling setup. It worked great but I'm wondering if there's anything that I am overlooking or ignorant of.

My setup uses the molle frame, waist belt, and shoulder straps. I have two lashing straps on the frame under the pack that can be used for hauling meat. The actual pack is a molle 3 day assault pack that I have attached via buckles and straps that I made. There's enough extra webbing on the straps to accommodate meat between frame and pack. I've also got a utility pouch attached to one side of the waist belt, a water bottle pouch on the other side of the waist belt, and a first aid pouch attached to the assault pack. I also use the bottom straps to lash my ground blind burlap during deer season, but it could also be used for a sleeping pad/tent/sleeping bag. The main thing that I know I'm sacrificing on is weight. The setup isn't too heavy, but I'm sure that purpose built packs are definitely lighter. The great advantage is that so far I have less than $100 in this pack by watching for deals at surplus stores and ebay.

What am I missing and what could be improved? I'll update with pics when I get a chance because I'm sure the description may be confusing. I'll also add that I'm not opposed to a nice, purpose-built pack but I'd rather buy tags now and gear over time than all my gear now and tags later.

You can go a ton of different directions with packs and it really depends on personal preference and what you intend to do with the pack. In general I have found that military gear tends to be designed so it's cheap but durable... which means it's ridiculously heavy compared to other options. You probably won't be able to get any purpose built pack for the price you paid.

I think your pack would be great for base-camp style hunting, probably won't work for backpacking unless you have really high-end gear, just in terms of space. Weight will obviously be an issue, sub 6lbs for a pack is preferable, but in my mind your biggest issues is having to strap gear to the outside. Whether it's devils club in AK, oak brush in CO, or willow jungles in MT bushwacking is going to destroy your gear. My bag, pad, and tent are probably the most important survival gear I carry and they go in a dry bag in the center of my pack.

You can go a ton of different directions with packs and it really depends on personal preference and what you intend to do with the pack. In general I have found that military gear tends to be designed so it's cheap but durable... which means it's ridiculously heavy compared to other options. You probably won't be able to get any purpose built pack for the price you paid.

I think your pack would be great for base-camp style hunting, probably won't work for backpacking unless you have really high-end gear, just in terms of space. Weight will obviously be an issue, sub 6lbs for a pack is preferable, but in my mind your biggest issues is having to strap gear to the outside. Whether it's devils club in AK, oak brush in CO, or willow jungles in MT bushwacking is going to destroy your gear. My bag, pad, and tent are probably the most important survival gear I carry and they go in a dry bag in the center of my pack.
That pretty well sums it up.
Backpack hunting is just backpacking with some extra gear. Key in on what works great for backpacking, add in the fact you need to carry in optics/rifle and carry out a critter, and there you have it.

It sounds like if you wanted a pack to function as a daypack then haul meat out, you have one cheap. I'd say no need to update unless you want to trim weight But I agree with the others a purpose built pack for an actual backpack in trip would be more practical and lighter for a backpack in and camp hunt.

If it gets you out hunting, nothing wrong with it at all. I started will surplus military gear and used to carry 70 pounds for a 3 day hunt. A lot of that was extras I no longer pack, but a fair amount was also because the military gear was just so damn heavy.

When you do upgrade later, start with the stuff you will use the most and save the most weight with (boots, sleep system, pack, clothing)

Unless you're planning on doing some actual backpacking trips, just stick with what you've got.

I had a friend join me on a backpack camping trip who brought his pack from the guard unit he's in. His back was really shot after we got out from carrying all that weight up and down mountains. I find that most military packs distribute weight away from your center of mass backwards instead of upwards. Like others have said, it's best to look to the backpacking world if you're going to go this route.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think VAspeedgoat summarized the most realistic use that I am expecting from this setup. Base camp hunts are probably much more of what I'll be looking at than full blown backpack style hunting.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back