Caribou Gear Tarp

Creative solution for increasing numbers of nonresidents

7Bartman

I was thinking today since I didn't get an Idaho NR tag this year (randomization had me at almost 16k in the queue). I figured since I'd rather have some type of opportunity, what about the following:

OTC Archery season would be broken down into two mini-seasons Sept 1-15th and 15-30th, each with their own separate distinct tags. You can only hold one tag. While most nonresidents would probably opt for the 15th-30th, those of us who aren't selected would be happy with the 1st-15th.
By altering the season this way would double the amount of opportunity and tags sold. Besides, many nonresidents only hunt 7-10 days anyways. I know I'd rather hunt the 1-15th then not hunt at all.
Pros: Double the amount of opportunity for nonresidents and double the amount of elk tags sold by the dept.
Cons: Likely some increased harvest of elk, albeit minimal considering limited success rates of OTC archery. Some intangible increase in pressure.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I like thinking outside the box. This could be a good idea except it violates the tag quota for nonresident hunters. You can only sell 25%(if I remember correctly) to nonresident in a general hunt and 10% in a controlled hunt. Unlimited over the counters are quoted to the average resident purchase.

I keep leaning toward making nonresident draw for tags and sit out longer for successful draws and harvest. Kind of give more opportunity to everyone who can't be on a computer clicking at 10:00 on a Tuesday morning.

Another option would be eliminating the outfitter set aside. Right now if you have money you can pretty much be quarantined a tag if you hire an outfitter. 2 thoughts on this, 1- $ shouldn't give you an advantage in public property situations. 2- if outfitters are worth the money people will still hire them.

Last edited:
I like thinking outside the box. This could be a good idea except it violates the tag quota for nonresident hunters. You can only sell 25%(if I remember correctly) to nonresident in a general hunt and 10% in a controlled hunt. Unlimited over the counters are quoted to the average resident purchase.

I keep leaning toward making nonresident draw for tags and sit out longer for successful draws and harvest. Kind of give more opportunity to everyone who can't be on a computer clicking at 10:00 on a Tuesday morning.
I should note, that this is only for OTC Archery in Idaho. I know other states have different (often more complicated systems).

I should note, that this is only for OTC Archery in Idaho. I know other states have different (often more complicated systems).
I get that. In OTC archery hunts that are not limited to residents they quota the nonresident tags based off average sales. It's still limited by law.

I don't know anyone in Idaho personally. but I doubt very many of them want to limit their opportunity to kill an elk in order to give more Non residence an opportunity to kill an elk.

I don't know anyone in Idaho personally. but I doubt very many of them want to limit their opportunity to kill an elk in order to give more Non residence an opportunity to kill an elk.
I don't see how this limits resident opportunity to kill an elk, aside from more pressure. The Dept can use the extra money generated to improve habitat/manage predators.

I have never complained about the NR quota for elk and deer. It has been the same for a long time, but people are mad now because demand has made it something other than everyone's "just in case I don't draw elsewhere" state. Now it takes planning ahead.

NR, as it stands, aren't the primary issue for crowding in Idaho. Being the state with the highest population growth for the past several years is.

But suggesting that the solution is to simply double the amount of nonresident tags is ridiculous.

Not many but still elk tags avaliable so must not want to hunt to badly...system is system

My assumption is that the OTC season is 30 days long and you suggest changing that to two 15-day seasons, which a person could only hunt one. That would cut a tag holders opportunity in half if my math is correct. But I haven't been paying any attention to Idaho's seasons so if I am wrong, please forgive me.

I don't see how this limits resident opportunity to kill an elk, aside from more pressure. The Dept can use the extra money generated to improve habitat/manage predators.

There is no end to trying to get "extra money" to improve habitat/manage predators.

First off, we don't want to become Utah. Period. Whenever it is brought up that Idaho should give just one more governor's sheep tag people wig out. Rightfully so. The argument for more money can always be done....just auction to the highest bidder....or have a giant convention every year and offer $5 chances on hundreds upon hundreds of tags. It's been done. Residents don't like it. What Idahoans want, based on the IDFG resident survey done every seven years, is to maintain present opportunity at the cost of trophy quality. Again, I would never advocate for reducing NR quotas. But doubling....really?

Second, IDFG has declared war on lions by the elimination of ALL lion quotas statewide as of this season. We don't need any more help managing them. We're good on that.

My assumption is that the OTC season is 30 days long and you suggest changing that to two 15-day seasons, which a person could only hunt one. That would cut a tag holders opportunity in half if my math is correct. But I haven't been paying any attention to Idaho's seasons so if I am wrong, please forgive me.
Read the OP. He wants to double tag allocation for NR. Most NR don't hunt more than two weeks.

Ive hunted the same unit in Idaho for a long time been locked out last 2 yrs now with tag cap I think the chance is slim for me to get that tag again but you have to be flexible and look at other options

I’d start with swapping NR OTC for a random draw. Doesn’t increase revenue or put more NR’s in the field, but at least you don’t waste everyone’s day trying to navigate a broken IT system.

In places like Montana, I think splitting the archery season into two hunts is a good idea, while keeping total tag numbers the same. Hunt either of them, you can’t hunt rifle.

That’s a major decrease in pressure without lowering total number of hunters.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back