Yeti GOBOX Collection

Creating a Chart for the field

wildaggie13

I want to create a laminated chart 100-500 yards in 25 yard increments with the calculated size of certain animals at those distances. Basically a chart with this calculation already figured: Range X Size(MOA)/95.5=Size(inches). With this I can more efficiently measure racks using my scope. Also, if I lose my rangefinder of the battery dies I would like to be able to range the animal using my scope.
What I need help with is getting the average size of Antelope, Elk, Mule Deer. I have seen measurements from top of back to belly line, but some of my scopes don't have vertical hash marks. All of them, however, have horizontal MOA hashes. So I need to know average size from rump to brisket.
Does anyone know where I can find this information?

thanks,

cole

Found this on the elk foundation website. Having a hard time finding anything else. I think the problem with measure the width would be if the critter was angled a little bit it’ll throw your reading off. I use mils, it is really tough to do on moving target because like I said even a little bit throws it off. That’s me though. I don’t know what to tell you about the sizes, I was having a hell of a time finding info too. Do you have a cabelas or museum, that might have some life size mounts that you could measure. I’d be ready for some funny looks if you’re doing that though haha.
Zach

Attachments

• B3668FFF-6127-4ABC-A64C-DF0B5839F1D0.png
    B3668FFF-6127-4ABC-A64C-DF0B5839F1D0.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 13
100-500yds in 25 yd increment's? Should be able to get most of it on a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper! I have made them but I use MPBR to sight in my rifles. My chart's start at the max range and go out from there. Actually only used one and that was n my 6.5x06 when I was fooling with ranges beyond 300 yds!

I only have dope sheets done in 100 yard incements out to 1,000 yards.
I think if you check out Vortex they may have the info you want. I remember something about it with their Diamondback Tactical scope. They used horizontal instead of vertical measurements.

Though i'm curious...
If your measuring in the horizontal axis, how are you going to measure racks that are in the vertical axis?

Also tells me your going to be glassing with your rifle scope instead of bino's.
Not safe idea.

Ranging targets with an optic takes a good bit of practice. Even with targets of a known size, +/- 10% is pretty good.
Leupolds Duplex used to be sized to the average deers brisket. Extra set of numbers on power ring was used for ranging. I think they abandoned that after the Vari X 3s. Not a very accurate method.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back