MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Crater Ridge Fire

LRHFox

So this is a 2 part question. A couple of buddies and I are hunting region Y for mule deer. We’ve heard there is significant pressure on the lower lands south of Kaycee. So we were planning on hunting the mountain north of Sheridan near Montana. Well I have been watching the crater ridge fire for some time now and looks like activity will persist until we head up there. Likely part of the big horns will be shut down while up there.

Question 1-Due to the amount of activity that is up there right now to try and kill the fire, is that area kinda blown out? How should we hunt near these closed lands, is it worth it? If they open it up prior to our hunt, is it even worth getting near the burns?

Question 2-I’ve spent most of my time and resources prepping to hunt this northern area. I would like advice from those that have hunted it before. It has been a while since I have done a mountain hunt and could use some advice. Some I have talked to have recommended not being on the mountain others have.

Any advice or recommendations on question 1 or 2 would be appreciated. Feel free to take the conversation off line.
Thanks

Sorry, I don’t have any good info for you, but I’m heading that way for the October 1 Elk opener. I’m going to find a Cow Elk outside the fire closure area and kill it…..I hope😀
I did see a good amount of Mule deer near Burgess Junction last year

Sorry, I don’t have any good info for you, but I’m heading that way for the October 1 Elk opener. I’m going to find a Cow Elk outside the fire closure area and kill it…..I hope😀
I did see a good amount of Mule deer near Burgess Junction last year
Haha well good luck. My season doesn’t start until 10/15 hoping that gives it a bit more time to open up the fire closure.
Curious on the mule deer you saw, this during a hunting season or spring summer time?

I think it all depends on the weather, for both the fire and the deer.

If we get some colder weather and some snow before October 15, which is usually the case up there, the deer will head for the faces (both west and east) of the mountain.

The snow would help a bunch with the fire situation, but not help with the deer situation.

ClearCreek

I think it all depends on the weather, for both the fire and the deer.

If we get some colder weather and some snow before October 15, which is usually the case up there, the deer will head for the faces (both west and east) of the mountain.

The snow would help a bunch with the fire situation, but not help with the deer situation.

ClearCreek
Clearcreek

So snow pushing them to the faces would be a bad thing??

I would think that would be good, no?

There is some rain scheduled for later this week, hoping it really puts a damper on things.

Clearcreek

So snow pushing them to the faces would be a bad thing??

I would think that would be good, no?

There is some rain scheduled for later this week, hoping it really puts a damper on things.
Not if the land they move to is private.

Not if the land they move to is private.
Yeah I understand that, but most of the slopes off the mountain are public where I am looking. It’s really once it levels out where it gets to be all private.

But maybe those are the areas he was referencing.

Yeah I understand that, but most of the slopes off the mountain are public where I am looking. It’s really once it levels out where it gets to be all private.

But maybe those are the areas he was referencing.
A lot of them do move to private land.

I don't know much about the Big Horns, but this I do. The eastern face has plenty of private even up the mountain and much of the public is very difficult to access with out extraordinary effort. I would be looking to the western side of the mountain.

I don't know much about the Big Horns, but this I do. The eastern face has plenty of private even up the mountain and much of the public is very difficult to access with out extraordinary effort. I would be looking to the western side of the mountain.
I hear you. Unfortunately the Y tag splits the mountains in half north to south, so I will only be able to hunt the east side and east face.

your right though, extraordinary effort will be required to get to some of these spots.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back