NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Crap Weather Strategy

mgiuliani

The extended forecast for all of Montana is warm and dry... in other words crappy. Interested in others strategy on warm sunny days when the elk have already been shot at and are on high alert. I'm sure glassing, glassing, glassing tops the list which is at the top of mine as well. Another I know if is focusing on North/East aspects in the shade. Any other good insights out there. I'm sure I'm like every other Montanan on this forum... praying for cold and snow.

Bad weather = good, fun opportunity to bivy hunt far back during early November without A. being cold at night while carrying a lighter pack/supplies B. hiking though a couple feet of snow and/or C. needing horses. My pack has never been so light this late in the year for a bivy weekend trip. Enjoy the weather while it lasts. The critters are still out there and yes, they are still moving.

Last edited:
To me, nice weather = still hunting cool North and East facing slopes far and high from roads.

Was just on the phone with Tony Schoonen from Butte this evening, he and others had been out hunting quite a bit, nothing. He got a small white tail buck and dropped him off at the meat processors. Tony said normally there are elk everywhere at the place, only saw a few hanging. The processor said that he is down 300 elk from this time last year.

I have been hearing similar stories from other parts of Montana.

Good news for you Montanans is the shoulder seasons are coming up so you can thin the heard.

Seriously though it's nice enough weather to spike out and hunt further than normal this time of year. We had to just get up earlier and be in glassing spots earlier than usual b/c the window for spotting animals moving around has been so much shorter both in the mornings and evenings.

Back