CPA question

Brittany Chukarman

Big Fin , npaden or any other tax pro's. Have any of you challenged the IRS position of zero cost basis on demutualized shares of an insurance co. ?

Not officially in audit, rather with claiming basis on the tax return. For the IRS to take this position is completely unreasonable and they know it. When Prudential went from a mutual company to publicly traded, they actually provided estimated cost basis for those policy owners who wanted to take the position.

I would have something in my files to substantiate the cost basis calculation provided. The IRS knows this is a small amount for each tax payer and the odds are that the taxpayer is not going to fight it. So they attack where their is no defense and win every time.

Just one of the many areas the IRS goes after, knowing they will not have much resistance by any single taxpayer.

What they said sounds good to me.

I'm a CPA but I am a financial statement auditor, I can barely do my own taxes.

I actually have 10 shares of Prudential and hadn't even contemplated that I might could claim some kind of a basis in them.

Well that flew over my head faster than an F-16. There's the reason I mow lawns for a living. Stay in school kids :eek:

Yep.

872A3488-51B2-4F69-A5CE-D628FE440FD4-4801-000005E0D1582D8C.jpg

Ha! It's over my head also.I'm helping my dad with his living trust and this came up. He has some Prudential shares from a long time ago. I made my living in concrete as a contractor then plant owner. Now I operate a charter boat and have a small ranch. I hope I'm done with concrete.

Bart You said that right. Do you get any kind of a discount form your CPA on the law you mow

My CPA makes me cookies and brownies when i do a good job. Guess you know why im not over weight.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back