Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Coyote Wacking

Muley_Magician

I have had a bad coyote problem on my whitetail turf in AL. I have found 3 fawns dead killed by coyotes in the past 3 weeks while scouting. I hear them every evening howling in a clear cut. So i got the trusty ol'man vision tree climber and the 300 UM Sendero SF topped with a leupold 6.5 x 20 power damn near spotting scope and waited for them to appear. About dark i saw 3 about 300 yards out. So i put the scope on 20 power got a good steady rest and dropped the bigger one. The other two take off running strait at me and i got the second. I shot from end to end. The other halled tail and made it to cover. Oh man that 180 gr. Sirroco's did a number on 'em. I took pics. And will post them later when i get them developed. That whole ordeal really got me interested in calling them and killing. I love turkey hunting and it seems it would be kinda like that, but the qaurry wouldnt be a prize.

Any good info on calls to use? What type to use at what conditions ( time of year ect.) I know there are a lot more i heard about 10 before spotting these in a diffrent direction than the howling ( yipping ). I found a spot that has a ton of crap in that clear cut, is this a meeting spot for them or what? Just curious.

later, MM

people make coyote calling more than it should be... your going to get a ton of different answers on this(none are wrong), but start cheap and get those calls working first.
You can also use a boom box and pop a 9.95 tape in it, they work good as well.. so does a suzuki samori stock stereo system...

I havent tried a treestand yet but going to do that this year with a bow for yotes.
First just try a sercee(sp) squeeler call, if that doesnt work get a crit'r call from a guy in colorado.... both calls are around 10 buckls I believe.. the squeeler one as worked best for me in a few different states.... Also a turkey call works great..

Delw

Delw,
I tried out the calling aspect of coyote hunting. I have been practicing with a big coyote hunter around my parts. I used a rabbit in distress. I was in the same tree and got another. It was a very small one, but I have learned so far in coyote hunting you dont pass up even the little ones. It came in very quiet and from behind me. You should have a lot of luck useing a treestand for yotes. I have killed 3 bobcats, 2 grey foxes and one red fox out of a treestand with a bow. I wasnt hunting them, i was hunting deer and they just happen to come within my shooting range and luckly i got'em. Since i have been wagging war on bobcats ( and whatever varmits ) for 3 years now the qauil and turkey populations on my hunting land have increased big time. That showed me how much these little critters can devistate game animals. That is one reason i'm taking on hunting yotes hardcore, like a boone and crocket buck.

later, MM

Back