Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

coyote rifle

wyomingtim

I am also posting this on the rifle forum.

I am looking to build a coyote rifle. WHat cal. should I build it on? It will be for coyote only (of course every rifle is for prarie dogs
biggrin.gif
) Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'd recomend the 22-250. Buy the factory rifle of your choice and spend your money on a good trigger and quality optics. Most shots at coyotes are at less than 100 yards anyway if you are calling. There was a similiar question posed on another board and many experienced predator hunters voiced their own personal preference. http://www.huntmastersbbs.com/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000060;p=1
Doug

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-31-2003 12:33: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

I have two 22-250's. I wouldn't think of using anything else. I load my own and I am really comfortable where it shoots. Need I say anymore. HA HA HA. Good luck and let us know what you get.

God Bless,

SONG DOG

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wyomingtim:
I am also posting this on the rifle forum.

I am looking to build a coyote rifle. WHat cal. should I build it on? It will be for coyote only (of course every rifle is for prarie dogs
biggrin.gif
) Any suggestions are appreciated.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nullnull

Hey, is that you Wild Bill from the old California Varmint Callers Asso. that used to hunt in Northern Nevada in a tee shirt when it was -10. Stay up 48 hrs without sleep then case out all the animals before you went to sleep so you could go to work and make some money to go hunting the next weekend, is that you?

YES, THIS IS YOUR FRIEND WILD BILL! I DON'T THINK I AM READY TO DO THOSE THINGS AGAIN. I MITE WARE A COAT THESE DAYS.

I STILL THINK A STANDARD .243 WINCHESTER WITH AN 80 GR. SPITZER IS THE BEST COYOTE RIFLE. MY FRIENDS AND I HAD ALMOST NO WONDED ANIMALS RUN OFF AFTER RECEIVING AN 80 GR. SPITZER AT 3400 FPM AT THE MUZZEL. WE KILLED HUNDREDS OF COYOTES WITH THE .243 WINCHESTER OUT TO OVER 400 YARDS DAY AND NIGHT.

Welcome to Huntalk Bill! We look forward to hearing about your hunting experiences. Since you know Danny, maybe you can shed some light on the rumor that Danny wore pantyhose to keep warm during those cold nights of contest hunting?
biggrin.gif

Doug

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-02-2003 14:35: Message edited by: Doug ]</font>

Doug, Bill was one of the old competition hunters from 25 or 30 years ago. Back then we did most of are serious animal count hunting in Nevada.

The 243 was a great caliber for those sometimes long shots and believe it or not 400 yarders were not uncommon just like Wild Bill said. Times have changed, some of the things we did back then you can't do now and I don't think many people would be up to it anyways.
wink.gif

I have a .243 that my granddaddy gave me. Awesome rifle and a pretty good coyote round as well. Granddaddy liked the 75gr hp from Sierra.

I use a .2o tactical, .222, .223, 22-250, .243, 25-06. The shotgun some, and even the .22 mag on occasion. Now, can I decide which one to take, yeah right, like there is that much time in the day.
biggrin.gif

I usually grab the one that I have rounds loaded for. They will all kill coyotes, if the shot placement is there.

later pup

Yeah Danny, I guess that is one of the advantages of being a '65 model. I have got alot of calibers to choose from.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Even the .204 has been around longer.

But hey I am convinced that the coyote ,1/4 my age, uses 1/4 more intelligence than used by some of us. I guess that is why grandaddy encouraged me in this sport so much. He wanted to pass down the humility, in that that a 7 year old can make such a fool out of a 38 year old. I'd bet that Grandaddy is having some good laughs at my expense. Nothing like watching an anal person over analyse something.

later pup

I posted a reply on the other board to but I will add to it hear.243 win/6mm rem are my top picks for Wiley . I have killed thousands in the last 25 years or so my last was yesterday with a 50 cal muzzle loader.I have seen 22-250 / 223 etc. varmint bullets blow up on a shoulder and not penetrate to the vitals.Coyote are bigger than a typical varmint.and though I have seen several killed with 22 hornet with good hits, Coyote are often running to your call so the perfect shot isn't always perfect.The 75-80 grain bullets will be more forgiving on shoulder hits.stay away from the heavy barrel varmint rifle in( 22cal. what ever)I used a RUGER 77 ULTRA LIGHT in 22-250 for years with good success with 60 -70 gr.pills but the 243/6mm are what I'm using now a few thousand later.
Then again now that Nosler makes a 22 cal partition the old 22-250 is looking better. ???? good luck

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-16-2003 19:26: Message edited by: nitro x ]</font>

I am just returned from a great weekend with the best bunch of guys you would ever want to share a hunting camp with.

We had Vic Carlson, Tim Behle, Norm (stormin) Johnson, Bruce Kennedy, Rich Higgins, and my old high school chum, Danny Batastini.

One of the topics, around the campfire, (of which there were many, you can be sure) was Wild Bill Nelson. I'm sure that I probably attended many hunts with him, and the name seems familiar, but I just can't place him.

Well, it's been a long time ago, has it not? Anybody that hunts at night(!) in northern Nevada, in winter conditions; in a T shirt, must be one tough hombre!

Good hunting. LB

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-17-2003 09:17: Message edited by: Leonard ]</font>

Back