Coyote Howlers

D

Dick Reece

As I've been extremely anxious to get started coyote hunting,yesterday I bought one by Primos,called the Power Howler,while I'm waiting on Slydog to build me his classic cowhorn howler.

Anyhow,the Primos howler is open reed.I can't begin to explain how difficult it is to learn to use this thing,even with the cassette instructions.

At one point my wife had to use the heimlich maneuver, I was choking so bad on the dad-blasted reed.The dang green o-ring,which is just a fat rubber band,barely holds the reed in place.You're supposed to bite down on the reed,and blow,while pulling the howler slowly out of your mouth.Just reading how to use the damn thing made me feel more like a faggot than a coyote hunter,hehehehehe!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

So,I put the 17$ POS Primos queer caller up in the top of the closet and went to another store to see what they had in the way of coyote howlers.I found one for 13$,closed reed,called a Halley Caller- coy dog model! The very first time I used the thing,I sounded just like a coyote on the prowl,it is that easy! I love this thing,and may go back and buy an extra one in case the first one breaks!

Anybody want to buy a slightly used top of the line Primos homo howler-caller
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
?

PC you may want to go easy on that Primos call. I have a slydog howler and I will give you a guess on the voice that is used. You may want to get that Primos back out and start practicing. Also if you are holding the call where the reed is at a 90 degree angle to your top teeth, try holding the call where your top teeth is at a 45 degree angle. You will be quite happy when you get that new howler. My is awsome, I like it so much. His call have such an awsome sound, and the craftmanship must be seen to be appreciated.

I knew he used a primos reed, and the sound's not the problem,it's the soundmaker,me.I'll try it the way you mentioned,but I'm pretty sure before I try it's not going to work for me.

Wonder if Slydog,makes closed reed howlers ?

PC,

Stick with the open reed, you'll get it... even I learned how to howl.
wink.gif

Howling is like playing a musical instrument. The guys who are really good at it, are like jazz musicians.

You are like a forth grade band clarinet player, I am only like a six grader. LOL You don't learn how to play a musical instrument in a few days.

The main thing to learn is to start the call from your guts "rrruuufffff" like your a big dog... or like you're blowing out birthday candles, you can't really blow too hard.
Get the bark, or the yip, down first. It's just a hard "hut".

I found a few coyote sounds, and put them on a loop... like a foreign language tape.
I would sit here and mimic the howls... "Lonesome howl" David Hale's voice says "Ooowwwwowowww" says the coyote...
"Hooonnnonk" said Krusty
drool.gif
slobbering all over the call... I repeat this ten times and then have ten of each of the next howls, and just let it loop on my media player on my computer.
Eventually I started to sound like the coyote.

I hope you have an hour or so of time alone to practice, or everyone in your house will hate you.
smile.gif

It sounds to me like your Primos Power Howler could use a second band, to help hold the reed in place, and so you can use a second band to help you tune it like the instructions on the Silver Dog site.
E-mail me your address and I will send you two new ones (so they match
wink.gif
)

[email protected]

Doug,

How do you carry all them calls, without sounding like and old junkman's wagon?
biggrin.gif

Jeff
wave1.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-20-2003 14:44: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]</font>

Jeff,
I have a big wheelbarrow full of bubble wrap that I take push to each stand. I thought that's how everyone did it.
biggrin.gif

Doug

PC I am sure that Dic can make just about anything that you want. Just ask I am sure he will give you the pros and cons on both. I would tend to think that the open reed is the better of the two. I think that the open is more versatile than the closed.

Yeah,but I'm more partial to a closed reed because of ease of use I think.I'll tell you one thing,there are some talented call makers out there.

You are right, they are some good ones out there. I have 5 Slydog distress call and 1 Slydog howler. Bar none they are the finest I have ever seen. The people that have seen them have said that they can't beleive that antler and horn can be made into calls that sound better than they look. Dic told me that he has made some for you. So you understand what I am saying.

Yeah,ol' Slydog makes some classy loooking and great sounding calls. Hey lone wolf,thankjs for trying to help,it's me,Seldom Ever.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back