Caribou Gear Tarp

Coyote Eats Deer Before Hunter Gets To It

WyoDoug

Boy would this piss me off if a coyote munches on my deer or antelope before I get to it. I would be trying to hunt that coyote down.

I once shot an antelope with my bow. Gave it an hour. By the time I got to it there were two coyotes on it and they had eaten out the back end.

When I still lived in Colorado, I shot an antelope and hung it in my cousin's barn. By time we got back for the evening, his two dogs had eaten one hind quarter of it. Boy was I pissed off that day.

It doesn't take long to lose a deer around here. Coyotes will devour a whole deer in half a day. I've lost two, and by lost I mean, all gone! The first was a whitetail shot with an ELD-X, it was my second animal that year with no blood trail (last animal I shot with them too). This particular deer was shot in a foot of snow, I found about 6 tiny drops of blood. The deer ran 75 yds and fell in a small depression in a meadow and was impossible to see with the snow. There were deer tracks everywhere which made it impossible to follow its trail. I scanned the meadow dozens of times and instead concentrated doing clover leafs in the surounding woods. I found the deer the following morning thanks to the magpies, right in the middle of the meadow with several sets of my tracks a few yards away. The coyotes ate everything all the way to where the neck meets the shoulders, they left enough of the cape and didn't touch the nose so I managed to snap really good pictures all things considered. The second deer was an archery mule deer I shot at last light. This deer was shot quartering/facing but still presented an Ok shot. The arrow hit right but excited far back on the other side making a gaping whole out of which the intestines were coming out as it ran away (I still kick myself when I think about this one). The deer went about 80 yds in the bush. Good blood but lots of stomach contents all over the place. As I reached the tree line I heard crashing in the woods, I started doubting my shot (I shouldn't have but hindsight is 20/20) and decided to give it the night as it was already pretty late and dark. Found him at first light not far from where I stopped looking and the coyotes had eaten it all the way to the base of the skull. The crashing I heard was most likely another deer. Again the coyotes left enough skin and didn't touch the nose so I still managed to snap good pictures.

Losing an animal sucks.

It happened to me a few years back. Knew I hit the buck but wasn't 100% sure where my bullet struck. It was late and I just quietly snuck out of the woods and waited until morning. While cautiously looking ahead while tracking I saw a yote with its head down eating something. I sent a .45 ACP down its mouth when it looked up. Much to my dismay it was chewing on a deer leg and 10yds to the right was my buck stripped clean on one side. I notched my tag and skinned out the head. I went back later with my 22-250 and shot 4 more yokes that came to my call.FB_IMG_1555631806321.jpgFB_IMG_1555631813834.jpgFB_IMG_1555631794390.jpg

It happened to me a few years back. Knew I hit the buck but wasn't 100% sure where my bullet struck. It was late and I just quietly snuck out of the woods and waited until morning. While cautiously looking ahead while tracking I saw a yote with its head down eating something. I sent a .45 ACP down its mouth when it looked up. Much to my dismay it was chewing on a deer leg and 10yds to the right was my buck stripped clean on one side. I notched my tag and skinned out the head. I went back later with my 22-250 and shot 4 more yokes that came to my call.View attachment 174685View attachment 174686View attachment 174687

I lost one that way too. I had to come back the next morning and the buck was just a skeleton. I couldn't believe it. I figure there must have been at least a dozen coyotes on the carcass to completely eat that deer.

Buddy shot a doe with bow one morning. We trailed and found it 45 minutes later. A bobcat had already gotten to it.

I have seen this several times! We had a hunter on our lease drop a beautiful 12 point and did not retrieve it until the next morning. Well needless to say the yotes had a feast.

Helped my neighbor find a doe he shot with his bow this year. He shot it in the evening, and we found the deer in the dark. Had a skunk standing there and appeared to be chewing on it, or licking it, or something, where the arrow hole was. I shined it with my head lamp and approached it from upwind, and it walked off. Strange.

A number of years ago I had a bear hit real well with an arrow, backed out for only an hour . Short blood trail and a hind quarter already tore into !

Dang. Yea, that’d rub me the wrong way too. I’ve seen yotes get animals if left overnight, but not within an hour or two.

My neighbor has had this happen several times, the coyotes like to call his property home. He's started leaving his jacket on his kills, then goes gets his atv. He's an older fellow so, dragging is no longer an option for him.

That sucks I’ve lost one to the coyotes most places though the coyote population is out of control I wish more people hunted and trapped them

Been lucky and haven’t had any issues but I don’t bow hunt and dint wait long to track with a rifle. Lots of times I’ll recover bears and leave them to skin the next morning. In that case I’ll leave a coat on them and haven’t had any issues

I shot a whitetail buck this year. It ran about 50 yards and died in a cut bean field. It took about 40 minutes to get my truck to it, in that time a coyote ate the hind quarters. It's like the sound of the muzzleloader going off was a dinner bell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back