Caribou Gear Tarp

coyote calls

quail hunter

Good morning to all,
Just wanted to jaw.
I've had alot of calls, seems like was always getting something different.
about 10 years ago though I got one that put all the others on the shelf,
its called weems wildlife call.
You can't buy'im new I have to find them on ebay or gunshows or yard sales.
Its a wood call with such a sweet sound , the wood is shaped perfect for holding ,its a keeper.
anyone else ever had one?
I've been stocking up on them when I find 'im.

Some of the old timers here know all about the weems predator call heck some of the people cut their teeth on them.

sly

Yeah, I got one, with the box.

I took it out in Feb, and called one in with it, then I put it back up. I like the sound, but then I can get just as good or better with calls that I don't mind using hard.

later pup

Yep! I still got one I bought in 1970!!!! I called in my first western coyote with that call. The one I have has the mouse squeaker on the side. I believe it's called the "Dual call"

I'd love to own one,QH,if you see another on e-bay you don't want,send me an e-mail

weemswildcall2.gif

Is this the call you are using? Dan Thompson makes his own version of the Weems Wild Call. It might be worth the effort to give one of Dan's calls a try.
Doug

http://www.callingcoyotes.com/cart/webcart.cgi?CHANGE=YES&NEXTPAGE=/dtwwc.html&CODE=PHOLD

Slydog,
No I never have had a custom call.
My brother contacted you I believe to get one from you, what can you tell me about custom calls?
Are the reeds custom too?
Thanks

A custom call like these, has a custom body, and a custom reed set (I say set because I make the only open doubled reed predator calls I know of)

fbd04bac.jpg

fbd63fb7.jpg

Sly makes some very nice calls himself...

fc4e98ea.jpg

Though I dunno anything about the reeds he uses, they are supposed to have great sound.

Jeff
wave1.gif

Quail Hunter,

Custom calls vary from call maker to call maker. Some make only openreed calls as they are the easiest to build and take the least amount of time to produce.
Some turn their calls on a laith and are noted for certian shapes while others build calls from antlers and let nature dictate the shape.

sly

Thanks for the pictures Krusty,
So sinz how I've only used factory calls,
how the heck do you use those open reed calls?
which end is which?
Not into barking or howling and I prefer a cotton tail sound, I use a jack if the wind is blowing hard,ala circe.
Thanks, by the way ,to both the makers ,fine work!

Quail hunter,
E-mail me your address and I'll send one of my calls for you to try out if you like it I'll build you one thats personal and made to your likings.

sly

Quailhunter, if I can get a picture up I'll show you my calls I have left over from call making, I just quit and sold my stuff. But before I quit I made up a bunch of Circe clones. I also made Weems type for awhile, Rich Higgins has a couple of them, he could probably post a picture.
Richard Grantham
14.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-21-2003 07:11: Message edited by: Richard Grantham ]</font>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Some make only openreed calls as they are the easiest to build and take the least amount of time to produce.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sly, do you make open reed calls? Can you explain to me what is so hard about drilling a hole through an antler and stuffing in a pre-manufactured reed?
The two calls in Krusty's top picture were made by him and Richard Grantham, maybe Richard can tell us which part he thinks was harder?

I watch Krusty work very hard to make his calls, which do excellent rabbit (especially jack) and fawn distress Quail Hunter

Redrider

"Custom calls vary from call maker to call maker. Some make only openreed calls as they are the easiest to build and take the least amount of time to produce"
------------------
Sly,
You flushed me out with that little statement. Carving out a reed bridge, fitting an open reed into said bridge and then tuning the reed to sound proper and not freze up in cold weather is easier than drilling the proper sized hole to press a jc products metal reed in there? Haa haa

Welcome back,Rich Cronk
I have no doubt that all the call makers calls are more than capable of calling in animals,each one is different which is good as so is every caller that uses them.
I have my favorites and some that I just don't like.
I would like to try all your guys calls but thats not an option unless my bank account runneth over. Now if you wanna do some trad'in........edited cause my brain only kicks in every now and then......sheesh
I admire you guys for making your calls, I make my own quail calls, nothing fancy ,and I giv'im to my friends for presents,

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-21-2003 13:17: Message edited by: quail hunter ]</font>

Quail hunter,can you make a bob white distress call,I'll bet that would be a fox magnet in my neck of the woods ?

quail hunter,
Thanks for the welcome. I had to come back for awhile just to keep old slydog honest.
smile.gif
I remember reading about this guy going quail hunting with his new bird dog that was trained to only come to point on quail. Not pheasant, rabbit or prairie chicken, just quail. This dog had cost the hunter many many dollars. He and his new dog topped a hill when all of a sudden the dog went on point. Problem was that this dog was pointing at another hunter. Well the unhappy dog owner went ahead and visited a bit with this other hunter. The dang dog refused to go out of the "point" position and the dog's owner was about ready to shoot the sucker. Just before the two men parted to go on their seperate ways, the dog owner said to the other hunter, "my name is Jay Nistetter, and your name sir?" The other hunter said "my name is Bob White".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back