Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Cow elk decoys...................

cathunt-mt

Have any of you ever used or seen a cow elk decoy work? I was thinking about getting one I know Atelope decoys work but do elk???

cathunt-mt:

Elk decoys should only be used during the archery season, for pretty obvious reasons (ka-boom!). That said, yes, they can be very helpful in getting you that close-in shot!

There are 3 well-known ones out there:

(a)newest > "Montana"/most realistic(photo image),2-sided,light-weight,compact,easy-open,uses longer stakes

(b)least expensive > "Feather Flex"/a-sexual,2-sided,light-weight,compact,use elastic-corded between 2 bushes/trees(easy)

c)most bulky > "Mel Dutton"/original on market,most durable,single stake

I've owned the Feather Flex for 4 years; easy to use, material has been durable, can be used as bull OR cow (it's designed headless)>>> last year we hunted public land and called in a 370 bull to 27 yards while using it...

Note: Cabela's sells all 3 in their archery catalog ... I might give most consideration to the Montana decoy now.

<<<NOTE TO ALL EARLY SEASON ELK HUNTERS!>>>
Log on to www.pse-archery.com and click on "Ralph Ramos" for some REALLY good stuff on close-in tactics (improved tag-team tactics with diff. cow calling, *shows Mel Dutton decoy in use). Cathunt: this has good info for hunting with a decoy!

For my money, it's definitely worth having in your bag of tricks! Combine it with some seductive cow calling and you'll increase your odds for filling your tag. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, Dan also had success using a decoy a season ago here in Arizona.

Good luck!

Lv2hnt

The Idea sure sounds COOL..... I cover a CHITload of ground usually and Don't pack alot of water because of weight.. Let alone a DECOY...... And what happens when It starts to RAIN ?~?~?

I might try one one day but maybe when I'm in Better shape like Cathunt-mt :D :D

Luv2hunt.. THANX for the Info !!!!!!! Lots of good stuf fthere !!!

Cutthroat, Let me know how it goes this year !!!! I want to hear the good and the bad !!!!

Moosie:

The decoys we're talking about weigh next to nothing. If you were hunting by yourself, yeah, it'd be trickier to put together a set-up; it'd be better with two guys (one a caller). But I've seen the results --- they ARE effective!

Lv2hnt

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back