Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

COVID-19 cancels Wyoming hunt amid Native American criticism

WyoDoug

I think Hunting With Heroes is going to be cancelled this year too. I have not heard a peep from them this year yet and used to get tons of emails from the Cheyenne Chapter.

I think Hunting With Heroes is going to be cancelled this year too. I have not heard a peep from them this year yet and used to get tons of emails from the Cheyenne Chapter.

Honestly Doug, It's looking more and more like this may be a trend. I am just hoping it doesn't effect many of the regular seasons around the country. Of all things in this current world we are living in, the outdoors is sanity for many people including myself. Having a tag this year in Wyoming myself I have my fingers crossed and am still planning with optimism.

Honestly Doug, It's looking more and more like this may be a trend. I am just hoping it doesn't effect many of the regular seasons around the country. Of all things in this current world we are living in, the outdoors is sanity for many people including myself. Having a tag this year in Wyoming myself I have my fingers crossed and am still planning with optimism.
In Wyoming at this point in time, I do not think it's going to affect personal hunting trips since social distancing is pretty much built in. However, it WILL affect organized hunts especially this and Hunting With Heroes that I volunteer for. You WILL have to wear masks in most places you go in the cities and towns.

"The hunt raises millions of dollars for conservation-oriented causes but now faces criticism for associated ceremonies in which politicians have worn indigenous women’s headscarves designating them as “losers” of the event. "

Plot twist, they could still raise that money, without the 80 freebie tags (or at least definitely less), include women, and most of all; without making the losers to pose as women turning this whole thing into a misogynistic farce...

IMO they ought to cancel that One shot antelope hunt permanently. Most of the money raised goes out of state or to foreign countries by using Wyoming's antelope to raise that money . They guarantee tags to participants without going through the drawing process. Outdated and unfair to resident & non resident hunters who apply for that area.

Are you referring to the Water for Wildlife 501c3 from their website?
I don't remember if it was water for wildlife or what it was about. I've been against this hunt for many years, ever since I saw pictures of ex Wyoming senator Al Simpson hamming it up dressed as an indian squaw. Wyoming's wildlife resources should not be used for any wildlife projects outside of Wyoming. That's my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't remember if it was water for wildlife or what it was about. I've been against this hunt for many years, ever since I saw pictures of ex Wyoming senator hamming it up dressed as an indian squaw. Wyoming's wildlife resources should not be used for any wildlife projects outside of Wyoming. That's my opinion.
Fair enough, was just curious.

I don't remember if it was water for wildlife or what it was about. I've been against this hunt for many years, ever since I saw pictures of ex Wyoming senator hamming it up dressed as an indian squaw. Wyoming's wildlife resources should not be used for any wildlife projects outside of Wyoming. That's my opinion.
I don't object to money being raised for out of region purposes IF the donor knows ahead of time where the money goes, there is nothing illegal or unethical about it. Donors are perfectly capable of making their own mind if they want to donate knowing where the money actually goes to. Me personally, I will not donate to conservation or wildlife causes outside of the US or any that do not promote use of public land by hunters and outdoor sports participants. I refuse to give any money to animal rights activists that promote their causes as conservation. I for example have been a long time organizer in a childhood cancer cause. The organization I raise funds for provides grants and fellowships world-wide now and began in San Bernadino, California. They also raise funds world-wide and have events world-wide.

I don't object to money being raised for out of region purposes IF the donor knows ahead of time where the money goes, there is nothing illegal or unethical about it. Donors are perfectly capable of making their own mind if they want to donate knowing where the money actually goes to. Me personally, I will not donate to conservation or wildlife causes outside of the US or any that do not promote use of public land by hunters and outdoor sports participants. I refuse to give any money to animal rights activists that promote their causes as conservation. I for example have been a long time organizer in a childhood cancer cause. The organization I raise funds for provides grants and fellowships world-wide now and began in San Bernadino, California. They also raise funds world-wide and have events world-wide.
What I object to is using our Wyoming wildlife resources(Antelope) to raise money for projects that do not benefit Wyoming Wildlife. And the giving away of our most sought after antelope tags to a bunch of wealthy out of State entitled yahoos.

What I object to is using our Wyoming wildlife resources(Antelope) to raise money for projects that do not benefit Wyoming Wildlife. And the giving away of our most sought after antelope tags to a bunch of wealthy out of State entitled yahoos.
And that is cool. I respect your opinion. However, donors have the right to donate to who they want and fundraisers have the right to raise funds at virtually any location that will host them. Personally, I would not donate to this outfit either.

Back