• Coues

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • First legal deer in range

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Screw you for drawing

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters

WildWill

So I finally drew a NM deer tag (to soon)! My tag is good for any FAD from Oct 28th-Nov1st in a unit that has both coues and mule deer. I've spent some time in the unit and there's healthy populations of both. Never seen any huge mule deer but have seen some really good coues. So question for the brain trust what would YOU do in my shoes?

If it were me I would definitely go for the coues just for the fact that I have mule deer in my backyard. Have you hunted both before?
Never coues have hunted mule deer a handful of time and killed a couple. I also have a few deer points in CO and WY with with plans to hunt mule deer in both the next 2-5 years.

If it were me I would definitely go for the coues just for the fact that I have mule deer in my backyard. Have you hunted both before?
Not only this but your gonna drive a long way! Then there's the deer you have at home and a deer you never hunted before, top it off with a rather expensive out of state tag. Why do all that and settle for what you have in the back yard? Doesn't sound to me like your going simply to put some meat in the freezer!

Not only this but your gonna drive a long way! Then there's the deer you have at home and a deer you never hunted before, top it off with a rather expensive out of state tag. Why do all that and settle for what you have in the back yard? Doesn't sound to me like your going simply to put some meat in the freezer!
To clarify I have neither coues or Mule deer in my backyard (SE Oklahoma). Now our small body whitetail are pretty close to coues just bigger head gear. No it's not about filling the freezer as I can do that much easier and cheaper here at home although the meat will be utilized to the fullest and cherished. It's more about the experience of hunting in the wide open wilds of our public land out west in a way I enjoy and don't get enough of here at home. Absolutely love hunting my 200 acres here at home but sometimes I want something a little different "variety is the spice of life" and such. I'll say I definitely find mule deer more interesting and they have more of a draw to me then coues. But I'm leaning towards focusing on coues for a handful of reasons. 1st) I've been in the unit and seen a lot of mule deer but nothing better then a 3 year old 4×4 on the other hand I've seen plenty of coues including 2-3 bucks over a 100 inches one pushing 120 2nd) I've killed a couple of younger mule deer bucks but never a coues and would rather shoot any coues then another young mule deer 3rd) I have 5-6 points for deer in CO and WY so some decent hunts in my future in areas with a opportunity for mature mule deer no real plans for coues. This last points really is the key this might be my only chance to hunt coues and I'm gonna capitalize on it. Now if a big old Muley wants to show himself I could be easily distracted.

I think you've answered your own question. For me, the muley would have to be very big in order to pass on a Coues.
I have always lived in mule deer country, and have taken many 4x4 bucks. The 2nd biggest muley I have ever taken was in eastern OK, go figure.

I think you've answered your own question. For me, the muley would have to be very big in order to pass on a Coues.
I have always lived in mule deer country, and have taken many 4x4 bucks. The 2nd biggest muley I have ever taken was in eastern OK, go figure.
You mean western Oklahoma? There are no mule deer east of I-35. My biggest was killed in the Oklahoma panhandle.

A couple years ago I had a similar tag here. I love mule deer and hunting them.
Had a great buck about to walk out opening morning when we both heard the quad coming up the creekbed. WTF? I turned back to the buck as he flew over the ridge to a ranch and safety.
Reported the culprits to G&F in person at noon and the warden came and went through my camp...needless to say I was miffed.
The next morning I was down the road and crawled up a ridge where I had seen the big buck before and sat. And sat.
I'm watching across a canyon and a very nice coues buck is feeding on a ledge,200 yards in front of me, and 200 feet above the canyon bottom. On a cliff. I had to pass on that shot and losing any meat or rack in a fall.
The next three days I saw coues every day but no bucks. Never saw another mule deer.

I woke up at sunrise the day after my hunt was up and of course there were 4 coues does and that little big man 30 yards from my tent. I got out of the tent to make coffee and break camp. I had just stood up to stretch and behind me I heard a huff...that mule deer buck was just standing there looking at me. Huge.
He just walked up the hill and away.

FAD tags in NM. Take the shot when you have the shot.
I would like to try coues meat. Someday.

I had a 16 tag a few years ago with this option. My plan was to target Coues deer in the Wilderness. That was until I realized the great monsoon that year allowed the grass to grow tall enough to conceal all but the head of a standing Coues deer. My point is, depending on where you plan on hunting, that is something to consider if there's good summer rain.

Back