PEAX Equipment

Coues Deer in Southern Arizona

It is the guys they are after that my question is more about. Is it a real issue on these southern hunts?
I thought my picture was pretty obvious evidence. Yes, it is a real issue. These aren't your run of the mill border patrol agents, they don't drop out of blackhawk helicopters to chat it up with hunters. They were responding to a call from some nearby hunters of armed men. We were fortunate to observe the entire event from a distance, including the suspects and their capture.
Would I go back to hunt there someday? Probably. Would I go alone? Hell No!

@kevinbethje
It may be due to prior tactics and survival training, but I'm not so worried about border issues that I won't hunt alone. I think of it like I do grizzly bears and mountain lions; I need to be aware that they could be present and a danger, I need to set up my glassing sites, campsites, parking spots, etc in a way that reduces the risks, and I need to have and know my plan for if I bump into them.
As I mentioned in another thread, during rifle deer seasons there are usually so many other hunters in the areas South of Tucson that I feel close to zero risk from people crossing the border.

First of all, I am not a guide nor am I an amazingly accomplished hunter.
I do have a decent game eye and have spent a few years working in the outdoors for Land Management agencies with the opportunity to observe large tracts of land and a lot of animals.
In hunting S Arizona with newer hunters and some experienced hunters from other parts of the country I have realized that spotting Coues deer is very challenging for many people.
The more time I spend helping others to spot deer the better I become at locating them and talking others in on them.

With those points in mind I would like to take other hunter(s) out scouting before deer season opens to help them develop the basics of locating and spotting deer in some of the units around Tucson.

Obviously getting new hunters involved is the priority, but also hunters who are new to Coues deer and/or southern Arizona and people who just want to get out with a fresh set of eyes to practice scouting.
I probably won't get out in time to help people choose a unit for this year, but if you're ok with harvesting any buck then success can be had in pretty much any unit around Tucson.

I am not charging or accepting payment for this, just split gas and we will call it even.
I am definitely not planning on taking people to my favorite hidden deer spots, just some decent areas where hopefully we can have a good hike, find some deer, and maybe find some of southern Arizona's other cool animals.
View attachment 139832View attachment 139844View attachment 139831
View attachment 139829View attachment 139835
View attachment 139833View attachment 139837
View attachment 139839
Awesome photos!

First of all, I am not a guide nor am I an amazingly accomplished hunter.
I do have a decent game eye and have spent a few years working in the outdoors for Land Management agencies with the opportunity to observe large tracts of land and a lot of animals.
In hunting S Arizona with newer hunters and some experienced hunters from other parts of the country I have realized that spotting Coues deer is very challenging for many people.
The more time I spend helping others to spot deer the better I become at locating them and talking others in on them.

With those points in mind I would like to take other hunter(s) out scouting before deer season opens to help them develop the basics of locating and spotting deer in some of the units around Tucson.

Obviously getting new hunters involved is the priority, but also hunters who are new to Coues deer and/or southern Arizona and people who just want to get out with a fresh set of eyes to practice scouting.
I probably won't get out in time to help people choose a unit for this year, but if you're ok with harvesting any buck then success can be had in pretty much any unit around Tucson.

I am not charging or accepting payment for this, just split gas and we will call it even.
I am definitely not planning on taking people to my favorite hidden deer spots, just some decent areas where hopefully we can have a good hike, find some deer, and maybe find some of southern Arizona's other cool animals.
View attachment 139832View attachment 139844View attachment 139831
View attachment 139829View attachment 139835
View attachment 139833View attachment 139837
View attachment 139839
Hey Danson!
I didn’t get any tags this year. So waiting for archery otc to open back up.
I’ve been hunting only up north 20A and 6 and would like to get down south for coues deer. Let’s chat!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back