Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Coues Deer in Southern Arizona

Danson In The Desert

First of all, I am not a guide nor am I an amazingly accomplished hunter.
I do have a decent game eye and have spent a few years working in the outdoors for Land Management agencies with the opportunity to observe large tracts of land and a lot of animals.
In hunting S Arizona with newer hunters and some experienced hunters from other parts of the country I have realized that spotting Coues deer is very challenging for many people.
The more time I spend helping others to spot deer the better I become at locating them and talking others in on them.

With those points in mind I would like to take other hunter(s) out scouting before deer season opens to help them develop the basics of locating and spotting deer in some of the units around Tucson.

Obviously getting new hunters involved is the priority, but also hunters who are new to Coues deer and/or southern Arizona and people who just want to get out with a fresh set of eyes to practice scouting.
I probably won't get out in time to help people choose a unit for this year, but if you're ok with harvesting any buck then success can be had in pretty much any unit around Tucson.

I am not charging or accepting payment for this, just split gas and we will call it even.
I am definitely not planning on taking people to my favorite hidden deer spots, just some decent areas where hopefully we can have a good hike, find some deer, and maybe find some of southern Arizona's other cool animals.
20191112_103612.jpg20191011_120423.jpg20191108_093257.jpg
20190405_072002.jpgIMG_0869.JPG
20191114_091732.jpgIMG_1085.JPG
20200107_165509.jpg

Cool pictures. There's a guide in the Kaibab who offers a course in glassing. It sounds a lot like what you're offering. Very valuable information for a first time coues deer hunter. Good luck and keep posting those cool pics!!

Duwane Adams out of Sam Manuel is the Kaibab Guru ,and offers glassing lessons and started the art of using 15's on a tripod more than 30 years ago. thats when I bought a big VHS tape back then He put out on it. He has a guide school also. Good luck and have fun. They are addicting them little critters...............BOB!

I've been mearns quail hunting down there, saw deer. Awesome country! Only hunted it in January - February. I've heard the early rifle seasons are hot. Archery in January would be a challenge to harvest. Thought about doing a combo deer/quail hunt.

I was there with the young'uns in January as well. Although we just hunted javelina, we had a blast. For the cost of gas and tags we hunted 5 days. Going back next January. If I was down there earlier, I'd like to get some practice in. Not much reason to glass in central Texas.

My condolences. NM is so lucky.

I've probably the only non conformist CPA on the planet. I'm always ending up where I'm not supposed to be.

i’m hoping that i’m able to fly out in january with my bow and a quail gun
that country looks great in those pics.
thanks for sharing those

Our population rises by a Million in the Winter. ...............Everyone wants a break from the cold. Not all can afford it!.................BOB!

Duwane Adams out of Sam Manuel is the Kaibab Guru ,and offers glassing lessons and started the art of using 15's on a tripod more than 30 years ago. thats when I bought a big VHS tape back then He put out on it. He has a guide school also. Good luck and have fun. They are addicting them little critters...............BOB!
I just listened to Duwane Adam's newest episode on Jay Scott's podcast and he is definitely in a whole different league skill and teaching wise.
Those who are spending the money to travel in and hunt Southern Arizona may want to save a little extra and do his glassing course. It sounds like it's worth it.

The group I put in with drew early December Unit 33 Coues Tags.
I'm really excited for this hunt. The Bighorn Fire may have cut out a lot of areas I am interested in but there are still a lot of great areas in there.

I listened to the same podcast last nite. He has the honey holes every where and the knowledge to know where they live. Same with the Kaibab. Every body can learn From Duwane. Good Luck too You on your hunt....................BOB!

The group I put in with drew early December Unit 33 Coues Tags.
I'm really excited for this hunt. The Bighorn Fire may have cut out a lot of areas I am interested in but there are still a lot of great areas in there.

Monsoons haven’t hit yet; tho we did have a good rain today and humidity shot up to 77. That fire will be petering out soon. Anyway once the rains hit the new shoots will be coming up and the deer will be back. Rough country off the top tho. Catalina’s are a huge pile of rocks. Don’t choot a deer you can’t get too. Big bucks on the shoulders in this country.

Yeah, I appreciate the little ones like today though. Hopefully the rain keeps coming in small storms otherwise all the roads on the NW, NE, and East sides will get washed out quick. I like hiking, but not enough to hike in from pavement on those sides.

Yeah, I appreciate the little ones like today though. Hopefully the rain keeps coming in small storms otherwise all the roads on the NW, NE, and East sides will get washed out quick. I like hiking, but not enough to hike in from pavement on those sides.
Don’t overlook those “pavement hikes”, especially now!

I am thinking of applying to hunt in Southern AZ, is there any issues with border patrol, or safety issues to be aware of with running into people out there?

I am thinking of applying to hunt in Southern AZ, is there any issues with border patrol, or safety issues to be aware of with running into people out there?
Absolutely! These are the good guys. Wish I had a picture of the guys they were after. Not the type of people you want to run into by yourself.

Attachments

• 20171205_093436.jpg
    20171205_093436.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 22
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back