Cooking Fresh Elk in the Backcountry

Benjamins

Headed out elk hunting in a little over a week. This will be my first legit "back country" hunt. I cannot stop thinking about getting an elk down (hopefully) and cooking some tenderloins miles from civilization. Just curious if anyone else does this, if so how do you go about it? Build a fire and skewer a stick through it? Bring a little piece of foil and wrap the meat and throw it on the wood stove? Do you guys bring a little s&p or seasoning? Does anyone not do this in fear the meat could have CWD and wait to get it tested? God I need this trip to get here, I obsess way too much.

Even if just on a stick over a fire it would be great. In a pan with a little butter or oil, s&p and if you really want to get fancy, caramelized onions and brown gravy. mmmmmmmm. you may never want to come home. Just eat it where it lay!

If you can try to thin slice, add s&P, and cold smoke then dry in the sun or cold dry air, best jerky ever!

CWD? Shoot a healthy looking animal and just don’t eat the brain, spine or eyeballs, LOL. I wouldn’t (and don’t) worry about it in the least*

* not medical advice, LOL

On a cold, snowy day in Northern New Mexico, we were cutting up a bull and hauling him up out of the hole he died in. At some point, I got a fire going to warm up a little. The only wood was spruce. Eventually, I threw some bits on directly on the coals and seared them a bit. Maybe got them half way to "rare" and speared them out of the fire. They were the best tasting elk bits I've ever eaten. Spruce seasoned and all.

On an Alaska trip, we quickly tired of freeze dried and when we had a bull down, we threw some bits of fat in a pan and then this steak. Probably the best steak of all time. And the next night, just grilled another one over coals.
Mx64ppq.jpg

While field dressing, we have a fire going as it's typically evening by the time the party starts.

kabobs with cuts that normally go into our burger meat bag(s). Hang 'em high over the fire. Breaks up the doldrum of the process.

That and our celebratory plastic Jameson's Whisky warms the gut.

On a cold, snowy day in Northern New Mexico, we were cutting up a bull and hauling him up out of the hole he died in. At some point, I got a fire going to warm up a little. The only wood was spruce. Eventually, I threw some bits on directly on the coals and seared them a bit. Maybe got them half way to "rare" and speared them out of the fire. They were the best tasting elk bits I've ever eaten. Spruce seasoned and all.

On an Alaska trip, we quickly tired of freeze dried and when we had a bull down, we threw some bits of fat in a pan and then this steak. Probably the best steak of all time. And the next night, just grilled another one over coals.
Mx64ppq.jpg
I can smell that picture,.Absolutely fantastic

Alpine Touch and some butter.

It's not in the field but does anyone do the salt and buttermilk for 24 hrs? When they get home?

I am getting into the frying of the heart

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back