PEAX Equipment

Converting 22-250 brass

Redmt

It seems there's no 22-250 brass on the planet that isn't made from gold. Has anyone successfully been able to convert another case, (308) to 22-250? I've read numerous articles that haven't been very successful and one that said it's easy peasy. None really give an in depth method. Has anyone here done it and what are your recommendations for doing it?

An old friend of my grampa used to resize military 30-06 brass into 22-250. He had the forming dies and did 270's and others. One thing you will find it is much thicker brass and you will find pressure a lot sooner. You could use any case based on the 06 to form 22-250 brass. Get the right forming dies and you're in business.

Should be a bunch of different parent cases to be able to use. Any of the .308 or .30-06 families. Heck probably could make some nice brass with 6.5 creedmoor.

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
I have pounds of .308, maybe 6-7-800 6.5. What I don't know is what dies to use to gradually squeeze it down.
Converting 5.56 to .300 BO was an easy cut and size then trim to length.

Redding makes a form & trim die that works well. You just run your donor brass into it, trim it up, then full length size.

You'll have to pay attention to your neck thickness and possible donut from sizing down that far.

It seems there's no 22-250 brass on the planet that isn't made from gold. Has anyone successfully been able to convert another case, (308) to 22-250? I've read numerous articles that haven't been very successful and one that said it's easy peasy. None really give an in depth method. Has anyone here done it and what are your recommendations for doing it?
Maybe seller would ship it. mtmuley

I see internet discussion about converting 22-250 to 22 creedmoor.
Might be an option given the new case production.

Maybe seller would ship it. mtmuley
Thanks for the link. It looks like he would ship for free but contact is through the forum

I've seen that in some cases while others look perfect. I don't think the wrinkles will come out. Just remember with those wrinkles you will have a little less capacity thus more pressure on top end loads. Personally, I would set them aside and not use them.

I agree that I definitely wouldn't load them into top end loads. Right now I'm just loading some poofy 40 gr. stuff. I'd say case capacity is down around 80% maybe a little more.

It might have been caused by hydraulic pressure from lube in the die. I tried a couple different lubes and they could have built up. I'll clean them out to dry metal tomorrow and just lube the case.

I tried several different lubes and the Imperial case lube was by far the best and easiest to use. I resized several different cases from resized to once fired and new brass. I only lubed the case body staying away from the neck. They all necked down to .224 without any problems. It does stretch them out about .040.

I don't know if you're a member over on LRH, but there's a post there selling 100 pieces of new Nosler brass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back