MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Conservation & Politics Podcasts

rtraverdavis

@Big Fin, your latest string of podcasts about the ways in which politics affect wildlife and wildlife management have been top notch. Episodes 193, 196, 199, and 201 have been standouts for me in terms of really learning a bunch about the minutiae how political agendas can be so damaging to wildlife policy. The latest episode (201: Hunters No Longer Needed) was an eye-opener that I need to be attending commission meetings whenever possible, even if the posted agenda for the meeting appears to be benign. Anyway, thank you for all you do, Randy.

To those who live in states with a political bent that skews somewhat antagonistically toward hunting, give Episode 201 a listen. It’s something that’s been discussed at length here on the forum, but the background details discussed in the podcast are pretty startling.

Good to hear you find value in them. Thanks for listening and thanks for starting this post. As with most of our content, we get a lot fewer downloads when we talk about these topics, compared to if we talked about "10 ways to kill a bigger buck this year." Just the media consumption tendencies of hunters.

What is interesting is how we are still hovering over 120K downloads per month, while doing two of these per month. Those folks who do listen are people inclined to take action. Based on emails I get, a lot of folks in positions of policy are also listening.

It is hard to make this kind of stuff entertaining and give some rays of optimism when so much of it seems to be attacks on hunting, access, management, public land, or conservation. Even though the downloads could be higher, every podcast sponsor has told us to keep doing what we are doing and not worry about what the monthly download reports look like. So, we have a long list of similar topics on line for 2023.

Those not inclined to hit the button on the header bar of the forum, here is a link to the podcast page - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hunt-talk-radio/id1012713381

Even though the downloads could be higher, every podcast sponsor has told us to keep doing what we are doing and not worry about what the monthly download reports look like. So, we have a long list of similar topics on line for 2023.
Awesome. And honestly, these types of podcasts are anything but boring to folks who care about the big picture.

Anything on the docket for the negotiations/relationship developments between tribes and wildlife agencies? There have been some interesting things happening in Oregon on that front.

Thanks again for all you do, including giving us this platform to discuss important topics, as well as discuss grilled cheese and what dumbasses we all are. Haha.

Now that I don't have the hour drive to work and not doing the patrol route I need to catch up. Traveling end of this week so hopefully will be able to catch up while sitting in the airport.

As a former Washingtonion, I haven’t been able to keep up with the intricacies of the way things have unravelled at WDFW. The overall state politics have stretched the bounds of common sense so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, but surely disappointed. The official disregard of the science when it doesn’t fit the anti hunting message is very concerning.
Thank you for this podcast and I’ll consider it a big wake up call. I’ll be at the next MT commission meetings going forward.

Awesome. And honestly, these types of podcasts are anything but boring to folks who care about the big picture.

Anything on the docket for the negotiations/relationship developments between tribes and wildlife agencies? There have been some interesting things happening in Oregon on that front.

Thanks again for all you do, including giving us this platform to discuss important topics, as well as discuss grilled cheese and what dumbasses we all are. Haha.
Sammich you've hit the nail on the head. The podcasts about commissions etc have really opened up my eyes. Not only do our hunting voices need to be heard so do our conservation voices.

Good to hear you find value in them. Thanks for listening and thanks for starting this post. As with most of our content, we get a lot fewer downloads when we talk about these topics, compared to if we talked about "10 ways to kill a bigger buck this year." Just the media consumption tendencies of hunters.

What is interesting is how we are still hovering over 120K downloads per month, while doing two of these per month. Those folks who do listen are people inclined to take action. Based on emails I get, a lot of folks in positions of policy are also listening.

It is hard to make this kind of stuff entertaining and give some rays of optimism when so much of it seems to be attacks on hunting, access, management, public land, or conservation. Even though the downloads could be higher, every podcast sponsor has told us to keep doing what we are doing and not worry about what the monthly download reports look like. So, we have a long list of similar topics on line for 2023.

Those not inclined to hit the button on the header bar of the forum, here is a link to the podcast page - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hunt-talk-radio/id1012713381

I'll second Sammich Freak regarding the value of your podcast episodes. That said, I miss some. If I can ask, you don't seem to promote them at all - why? I follow you on social media (Randy Newberg, Hunter), and I see posts here and there - some promoting your youtube channel as well as other things, but none in the last few month mentioning the podcast. I, someone very into your message, nearly miss some of your podcast content and I think some things I miss I wouldn't have, if they were promoted by your online presence. Not because I don't subscribe, but just because of the volume of podcasts out there that I subscribe to.

I would guess you have your reasons, but it is something I have noticed when, after a month or two, I check your podcast and think to myself, "Dang, glad I looked through these."

I'll second Sammich Freak regarding the value of your podcast episodes. That said, I miss some. If I can ask, you don't seem to promote them at all - why? I follow you on social media (Randy Newberg, Hunter), and I see posts here and there - some promoting your youtube channel as well as other things, but none in the last few month mentioning the podcast. I, someone very into your message, nearly miss some of your podcast content and I think some things I miss I wouldn't have, if they were promoted by your online presence. Not because I don't subscribe, but just because of the volume of podcasts out there that I subscribe to.

I would guess you have your reasons, but it is something I have noticed when, after a month or two, I check your podcast and think to myself, "Dang, glad I looked through these."
Why? No good explanation. Working to improve our social media effectiveness in 2023 and beyond.

Thanks for sharing that observation.

I also want to chime in and say the issue and policy based episodes are my favorite, as well. As a new-ish hunter there is so much for me to catch up on around these issues. I was pretty clueless at the start and had some misconceptions, but I’m getting to the point where I feel I can (somewhat) intelligently advocate and comment on issues when needed, so thank you Randy!

For me Conservation and Politics are they only interesting podcasts anymore. Who can stand to listen to another "whats in your pack" episode!? So, thanks Randy for providing me something interesting to listen too!
I agree

Thanks for bumping this back to the top. I can’t wait to give this podcast a listen.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back