Caribou Gear Tarp

"Conservation license required to access most state lands" Montana, state lands permit.

Another case of making things simpler just confuses people ... who look for ways to be confused. One license does it all now. For those who have never hunted or fished in Montana before, the conservation license has ALWAYS been separate from fishing or hunting license. Different pieces of paper. Formerly, to access state land for other purposes (i.e. swimming, shooting gophers, etc.) technicaly required a use permit. Those who purchased hunting and fishing licenses were exempt because permission to use was covered under conservation license. What the state has now done is simply do away with the old use permit and require nonhunter/fisherfolk to buy a conservation license.

I never knew a permit was required for non hunting/fishing activities. But I'm seldom back in Montana these days except to hunt and fish. I suspect the former use permit was probably always loosely enforced on low use state lands (e.g. gopher hunting). I suspect it will continue to be loosely enforced for those areas/purposes. But the state can't make up different use regs for different pieces of land. Too complicated.

I'm all in favor of making nonhunting/fishing users pay their fair share of accessing and building facilities like fishing access boat launches, trailheads, etc. especially sites that are heavily used by them.

This reg has done little to change existing situation except to make being legal less complicated for everyone. Quite the opposite of typical govt progress these days.

Well, considering that a majority of Americans read and comprehend at about a 6th grade level, it's not surprising there is confusion.

Thats why government rules and regulations are so easy to read these days lol

Per the last paragraph, sounds like everyone who doesn’t already have a hunting or fishing license needs to have the permit to access state lands for any reason now. Nonresidents as well.

I’m a-ok with this. Hunters and anglers shouldn’t be the only ones footing the bill to clean up latrines when they get trashed by the inner tube crowd at fishing access sites.
Yes, if that's where the money actually goes because as we've already seen this year with other conservation funds, once they have it in hand they like to reallocate those funds to other places that I had no business being used.

This thread reminds me of a drink I ordered last weekend.

Waiter: what will you have to drink sir?
Me: whiskey sour with rye double short.
Waiter: perfect

2 minutes later
Waiter: So with a whiskey sour we are not sure what this is. It's it whiskey with a sour beer mixed in or.....
Me: No its rye whiskey mixed with a sour juice or mixer along with a dash of simple syrup or even maple syrup. Double short.
Waiter: ooh ok thanks for the clarification.
Me:WTF is up with this guy.

5 minutes later
Waiter: what do you use to make the sour mix.
Me: A lemon juice straight would do it.
Waiter: I'll check..... sorry we don't have that.
Me: fine a double rye and water short.
Waiter: ok

5 minutes later.
Waiter: here you go sir. Double tall whiskey straight no water.
Me: bring me the check please. Thanks

Point of the story is, it's all laid out clear as the day is long, you just aren't comprehending what the message is saying to you.
You had me at rye whiskey

I'll really throw a wrench into this. The Reservation I live on requires a Tribal Conservation Permit, same for fishing, and upland bird.
Fortunately Non-Tribal Members can purchase a combination State and Tribal Conservation Permit.
Not sure what other reservations do in Montana.

OK, guys, this is the skinny. I just got the word from Helena, State Wildlife, and Parks.
I specifically asked about Recreational, Target shooting, which includes non-game animals, AKA gophers ext.
This is their response copied off my email.

"Good morning,

The conservation that is now needed to access state lands is exclusively for access. This will not act as a permit to target shoot but will act as a pass to recreate on state lands.

You will still need to purchase the special recreation permit in addition to the conservation license.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Ellie Youde

Administrative Assistant

Front Desk

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks"

So do as you want, BUT if you're recreational shooting Beware.
I hope you don't get a ticket.

OK, guys, this is the skinny. I just got the word from Helena, State Wildlife, and Parks.
I specifically asked about Recreational, Target shooting, which includes non-game animals, AKA gophers ext.
This is their response copied off my email.

"Good morning,

The conservation that is now needed to access state lands is exclusively for access. This will not act as a permit to target shoot but will act as a pass to recreate on state lands.

You will still need to purchase the special recreation permit in addition to the conservation license.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Ellie Youde

Administrative Assistant

Front Desk

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks"

So do as you want, BUT if you're recreational shooting Beware.
I hope you don't get a ticket.
Or hope that you do if you fail to buy the requisite permit.

So, is montana charging you again (conservation license) for something they are already receiving funding (taxes,pr, etc) from you for? Effectively make the public land owner a public land indentured servant?

Like, buying a #2 from McDonald's and paying $10, then paying a $1 more at window 1 for a window excise fee. And $0.83 at window 2 for a handling excise fee? Isn't that what the $10 is for. To cook, package and present my order to me?

What's next, exhalation fee for co2 reduction per 100' elevation change?

Edit- hooked on phoenix didn't help-consolidation and shared fee structure makes sense in regards to intent. But agree with others. I hope the fee stays allocated to the purpose of the charge.

Last edited:
The way I interperet the stuff I have seen online about this is that a person would need this license just stop at one of these state places. Say I were traveling through the state and stopped at a fishing access site just take a break, see the river up close, and let the dog do here thing. Even if it were only a 15 minute stop.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back