Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Concealed carry

Rooster52

What would be better for a small concealed carry gun ,a 22 longrifle or a 380. Thinking of something for my wife. ? She is worried about recoil with the arthritis in her hands . I have let her try my 9MM and 40 but to much for her.

My wife has the same problems. I bought her a .380 but she likes her little Beretta .25. It won't knock them down but it can kill them.

The .380 would be a tiny bit better as a weapon. They have no recoil to speak of and there are some really small, concealable firearms available now. A .22 is not going to be any smaller for the most part.

The .380 used to be pretty much junk, but with its popularity, the quality of the ammo is really good now.

I'd take a look at a .22 mag revolver. In my opinion it is the best carry weapon for women who don't shoot a whole lot

I'm a big guy and my carry gun is actually a Ruger LCP.380. With hollow points or critical defense loads they are hard to beat. Quite honestly, I've found those gimmick 'zombie max' bullets do the most damage and they are really cheap. Revolvers have pretty stiff triggers, so if she is arthritic, that might be an issue. The Ruger LCR revolver has a pretty light trigger and I think that is in .38 special if I'm not mistaken. But, then one thing to think about is that a revolver is pretty much point and shoot with little to no chance of a misfire or issue, unlike the possible issues with a semi auto, so that might be a factor in your decision as well.

Last edited:
I bought my wife a Diamondback DB9 9mm that she loves. They have a .380 version too. Good, quality arms.

A lot of 380's are snappy because they are direct blow back, the ones that are delayed blowback or short recoil operated like 9's and 40's are going to be soft shooting. A glock G42 is probably the best option as its one of the most shootable 380's.

My husband bought me a Sig P238 .380 when we moved to oil country. I love it - not super tiny, easy to hold, surprisingly accurate but if the shooter has any problem maintaining a firm grip and solid form, it won't cycle shells. Might not be a good choice for someone who has trouble with hand or wrist weakness.

Its all about proper gun fit. Take her to a store or a gun show and let her hold some. Just find the one that fits her hand the best. Then hit the range and let her start shooting and getting comfortable with it. Teach her point shooting, she will pick it up right away and is far easier and quicker than looking down sights. I used to be a carry instructor and my brother still is. We have fitted many women just like her with a good carry gun as well as taught them how to point shoot. I am pretty sure if you pay your CC instructor a little more or just ask, they will gladly do some one on one instruction. I never once turned anyone down when I was teaching.

I'm a big guy and my carry gun is actually a Ruger LCP.380. With hollow points or critical defense loads they are hard to beat. Quite honestly, I've found those gimmick 'zombie max' bullets do the most damage and they are really cheap. Revolvers have pretty stiff triggers, so if she is arthritic, that might be an issue. The Ruger LCR revolver has a pretty light trigger and I think that is in .38 special if I'm not mistaken. But, then one thing to think about is that a revolver is pretty much point and shoot with little to no chance of a misfire or issue, unlike the possible issues with a semi auto, so that might be a factor in your decision as well.

+1 for the ruger LCP .380. I have one on right now. I also use the critical defense ammo. A lot of pop for a small round. To the original posting: Keep in mind, arthritis and recoil wont come much into play if she were actually using it in a defense situation so it should be carried loaded hot with critical defense, or other such ammo. But shooting for fun is different. Get some hornaday light (Or other similar) ammo to use for practice. A lot less recoil.

IMO, the 380 still has a kick and depending on her arthritis she might not be able to handle that either. I suggest go to the range and try them both out.

Glock 42 will be the softest recoiling of the 380s. As stated they Re the only one to my knowledge that locks up live blow back.

I love it - not super tiny, easy to hold, surprisingly accurate but if the shooter has any problem maintaining a firm grip and solid form, it won't cycle shells. Might not be a good choice for someone who has trouble with hand or wrist weakness.

This is exactly why I recommend a revolver. They have a stiff trigger but will always go bang...

Ruger LCR in .22 mag is worth a look, 9 rds, incredible trigger, very light and compact, very easy to hide and for self defense range applications, I would bet my life on it. Some people might want a bigger round and bigger is (almost) always better but in the totality of the circumstances you describe I would defiantly give it a real good look. I have a very very long history with the .22 mag and I have a lot of respect for the round.
Anyone doubting lets meet up and see how 9 .22 cal 45gr bullets @1000 fps+ feels. Plus bad guys watch tv and unlike wild game, they know guns make them leak, and know one likes to leak. And an additional psychological effect that could come into play....very loud and lots of flash. I'll always prefer 9 rounds of .22 mag in a J frame like configuration verses 5 .38's or 7 .380's in a hard (for people who can't or won't practice) to shoot micro auto.
My opinion as always will and should differ form most😀

This is exactly why I recommend a revolver. They have a stiff trigger but will always go bang...

I agree 100% with this. In a moment of panic is a person who does not shoot or practice much going to remember to pull the slide back on a semi-auto pistol? Hopefully they won't be walking around with a round in the chamber. What if it jams?
A double action revolver will always fire when the trigger is pulled.

Hopefully they won't be walking around with a round in the chamber.

Umm....there is no difference in a semi-auto hammerless and a revolver in this aspect. You pull the trigger on both...and they both go bang. If you carry a revolver...you are always walking around with a round in the chamber....:eek:

I agree 100% with this. In a moment of panic is a person who does not shoot or practice much going to remember to pull the slide back on a semi-auto pistol? Hopefully they won't be walking around with a round in the chamber. What if it jams?
A double action revolver will always fire when the trigger is pulled.

Why would you carry an empty weapon? I never carry my pistol empty. Hopefully the sight of a pistol pointed at someone would make them think twice but I will never be willing to take that chance. It has been proven that an attacker can cover a distance of at least 20 feet before the average person can deploy their weapon and engage them. Taking the extra time to rack the slide or clear a jam could put you in a bad situation. Something to think about...

I would never suggest a rimfire for self defense, solely due to reliability. I would find a centerfire weapon she can handle, be it a .380, 25auto, 9mm. Keep in mind that different weapons can have a much different felt recoil even if chambered in the same round (bore axis, grip angle, etc.)

Also if she is really serious, strengthening her grip strength would be a great idea and would probably help in handling recoil (tons of exercises to strengthen grip out there). Proper grip and stance are also crucial.

And ya if you're carrying a defensive weapon without a round in the chamber (ie unloaded for all intent/purpose) you're putting yourself way behind the 8 ball.

Last edited:
for the wife I'd go .380. . . Have her hold the Walther ( $ 200-$300 range) ambidextrous safety, the grips are outstanding, very comfortable and that equals better shooting. Good luck. ( I cant get mine to decide on paint, let alone a firearm!!) lol

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back