Caribou Gear Tarp

combination/Drilling

I have two drillings (Drei means 3 in German, Harley). I utilize my 16x16x8mmR and have taken grouse & whitetail with it. The 12x12x9.3x74R needs some lock work done to it in order to get into fighting shape, but that gun is a 2.5" chambered shotgun w/a pitted but accurate bbl on the bottom. Gorgeous walnut stock on it though.

Personally, I'd look for a used gun. Griefelt, Sauer, Kreighoff, Merkel, etc all are reputable firearms and won't break the bank like a new one. If you find a good candidate, you will likely need to have a smith go through it to lengthen the forcing cones & chamber to fit 3" shells, so be sure to have the firearm inspected for feasibility on this. You may want to open the chokes as well, as they were often times chocked extra full on both bbls.

In a rifle cartridge, I think anything would work if you can get the ammo. The 8x57R is generally a .318 diameter bore though, so keep that in mind. The 7x57R is the standard .284 and the 9.3x74R is one of my favorite cartriges, and has a touch more panache than a 348 Win.

Ben has given you very good information and reminded me to tell you that when you do find one that you like, it is people like Ben Lamb, Carl 9.3 x 62, Salmonchaser, and there is someone else on the forum that also likes these caliber's that I am forgetting at the moment.

But, anyway, these are the folks to listen to, as my knowledge, like me, is "dated"

However I did want to mention a couple of things.

1. you might have misunderstood about the two barrels . One barrel has a double 9.3 x 62 and a single 16 gauge, but that barrel has one rifle chambering BESIDE the 16 gauge on top and one rifle chambering underneath. The other barrel has a double 16 gauge and one rifle chambering. ( 9.3 x 62 )

2. Martini has a 12 gauge / 9.3 x 74 R that comes with a 22 hornet insert which if it was for me, I would prefer over the 16 ga/9.3 x 62. It is also newer and less expensive, plus it is already in Canada. I am going to also send the information about this one to Pat, as he LOVES anything that includes the 22 Hornet and this is just unusual enough he might be interested.

As mentioned above the 9.3 x 62 and 9.3 x 74R will be comparable to the 35 Whelen ( you could speak to Earle also, as he has both, but uses the 35 Whelen the most ). The 9.3 x 64 Brenneke is closer to the 375 H & H and of the three, the Brenneke was always my favorite. Remember it was what I put Charles into a few years ago, so again you could check with him on that one.

3. You ask my opinion and to be honest with you---- , I would NOT use these types of firearms for long days of hunting geese and ducks, but I am old, what the hell do I know :)

This is a big ticket item, do plenty of research before pulling the trigger, so to speak

Good luck

3. You ask my opinion and to be honest with you---- , I would NOT use these types of firearms for long days of hunting geese and ducks, but I am old, what the hell do I know :)

This is a big ticket item, do plenty of research before pulling the trigger, so to speak

Good luck

This is solid advice. If you are set up in a blind and waterfowling if your primary pursuit, then the dedicated autoloader would be my preference, with a rifle in a scabbard for targets of opportunity. If on the move, hunting open country with a chance to jump shoot ducks, upland game & big game, the drilling is a fantastic weapon.

This is solid advice. If you are set up in a blind and waterfowling if your primary pursuit, then the dedicated autoloader would be my preference, with a rifle in a scabbard for targets of opportunity. If on the move, hunting open country with a chance to jump shoot ducks, upland game & big game, the drilling is a fantastic weapon.
How accurate are the rifles in the drilling's ? side by side rifle with a shotgun as well as the rifle underneath ? Are the centerfire calibers regulated like the large doubles and you can or are suppose to only shoot one specific bullet for best results ? I am sure this will vary from gun to gun, but just curious as to what you have experienced . Thank you

How accurate are the rifles in the drilling's ? side by side rifle with a shotgun as well as the rifle underneath ? Are the centerfire calibers regulated like the large doubles and you can or are suppose to only shoot one specific bullet for best results ? I am sure this will vary from gun to gun, but just curious as to what you have experienced . Thank you

The sights are generally regulated for a specific load, but you can add a scope with a quick detach mount and shoot whatever you'd like. My experience is with open sights only, but I've been able to get minute of deer easily (3" at 100 yards), and if I really concentrate, I can bring that down to about 2" at 100 off of a rest. On a double, the bbls are regulated to a specific point of impact for a specific load. You can alter that, but it takes a lot of load development & testing to get a load that mimics the regulation of the original load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back