Columbian whitetail shed?

crock239

Reaching back a few years....my first shed find came from an area along the bank of the Columbia River in Oregon just east of Portland. Pretty sure (but not positive) it's from the threatened Columbian whitetail subspecies and not a blacktail. Either way it was a good day! Thoughts?

20200414_152553.jpg20200414_152545.jpg

More on Columbian whitetails here

Yeah, if it didn't have the sticker off G2 I'd be more confident it's a whitetail shed (not that it really matters)....sticker or bifurcated? 🤷‍♂️

I'm going with black tail. If it was from Douglas or Sothern Lane county I would say maybe. I did see one white tail in northern Jackson county along the Umpqua divide. but nothing out side of
Douglas county. I wish I had a picture of the deer a friend shot here in Jackson county 30+ years ago. The rack seemed to be a perfect 10 point whitetail rack but everything else about the deer was pure black tail.

I would say that is a blacktail antler. That looks more like a front blacktail fork than a point coming up off of a whitetail main beam. Also, that antler is a typical 3-point blacktail configuration that a lot of the bucks have and you found it in a place where blacktails are much more common. That is a nice buck though, especially with the sticker. Cool find!

Thanks for the feedback.....this thread got me thinking and looking more into Columbian whitetails....and I agree now this is most likely a blacktail shed 👍

Found this population distribution map, and while I did find this shed literally on the bank of the Columbia River, it was just east of Portland, and the map shows the whitetail distribution further downriver.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back