Caribou Gear Tarp

Columbia R Has Been Good To Me This Year

Cornell2012

Administrator
Staff member
Posted about the first Chinook I caught from the bank a while back. This has apparently been a very good run for Spring Chinook. The powers that be have given us a bunch of extra fishing days to chase after them. I've caught 3 fish on 6 trips (which everyone tells me is very far from normal). I weaseled my way onto a boat twice - one time the whole boat caught a limit and the other time we were in the Multnomah Channel (close enough to the Columbia that I'm counting it for the sake of this post) and I caught a real monster (approx 22 lbs undressed). I got a call on Monday that it was the biggest fish weighed in by the local tackle shop for the week, and I have hopes that it'll be the biggest of the month!

My little apartment freezer is just a wall of fresh Chinook. I wish it didn't come crashing down on my feet every time I opened the door, but it is a good feeling to have. The best part is that the fish is so good that Lillian has given me the green light to chase them as much as I want. Waiting on a few of the other rivers in the area to hit their strides as well.

Weights - 11 lbs, 22 lbs, 14 lbs.

Photos because we all know that's what gets the views:
IMG_1764.jpgIMG_1799.jpgIMG_1331.jpgIMG_1845.jpg

You are blessed my friend. I caught my first one 60 years ago. Fished them from Northern California to the Yukon river. My dad wrote the EPA approval on transplanting them into the Great Lakes. I spent 20 years guiding in Alaska. I’ve seen thousands of rookie king fishermen, You have the gift. I fully expect to see you with nice Columbian Blacktail and Roosevelt Elk coming up this fall, welcome to Oregon.

Posted about the first Chinook I caught from the bank a while back. This has apparently been a very good run for Spring Chinook. The powers that be have given us a bunch of extra fishing days to chase after them. I've caught 3 fish on 6 trips (which everyone tells me is very far from normal). I weaseled my way onto a boat twice - one time the whole boat caught a limit and the other time we were in the Multnomah Channel (close enough to the Columbia that I'm counting it for the sake of this post) and I caught a real monster (approx 22 lbs undressed). I got a call on Monday that it was the biggest fish weighed in by the local tackle shop for the week, and I have hopes that it'll be the biggest of the month!

My little apartment freezer is just a wall of fresh Chinook. I wish it didn't come crashing down on my feet every time I opened the door, but it is a good feeling to have. The best part is that the fish is so good that Lillian has given me the green light to chase them as much as I want. Waiting on a few of the other rivers in the area to hit their strides as well.

Weights - 11 lbs, 22 lbs, 14 lbs.

Photos because we all know that's what gets the views:
View attachment 222982View attachment 222983View attachment 222984View attachment 222985
Its a great fishery we spend 2 weeks every year on the columbia chaseing (big) walleyes

You are blessed my friend. I caught my first one 60 years ago. Fished them from Northern California to the Yukon river. My dad wrote the EPA approval on transplanting them into the Great Lakes. I spent 20 years guiding in Alaska. I’ve seen thousands of rookie king fishermen, You have the gift. I fully expect to see you with nice Columbian Blacktail and Roosevelt Elk coming up this fall, welcome to Oregon.
So far I'm accounting for this year to some good folks willing to show me the ropes as well as a dose of beginner's luck. I'm hoping that I can figure it out enough that in the future I can bring some of my friends along with me and share in the joy of catching these.

I'll really feel like I've hit the OR grand slam if I can dig up a blacktail and Roosevelt out of the jungle.

Great fish! Congrats. Wish I had spent more time chasing them when I was in PDX. So many great and unique outdoors opportunities all around you. Good luck with the Roosevelts--it truly is a jungle in there.

Back