Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Columbia Blacktail Hunt DIY 2015

B

big28hunter

Looking for a partner to chase the ghost of the pacific northwest. I will be hunting Oregon the last two weeks of the rifle season. In the planning stages now and working out the final details. Any advise will be greatly appreciated as well.

cascade blacktails

If you going for cascade blacktails, they are hard to find the last few years. I havea few big ones and have missed twice as many others. I plan to set up camp the last 2 weeks of 2015 season in the dixon unit, I also hunt the indigo, north of that. Good news, you don't need a different tag for doing that. Contact me & i'll show you around, there are no guaranties with these blacktail.

Not sure how you contact my email? When I signed up tho I checked a box that said 'receive email from others'. Way too much info to write here. Has taken me 30+ yrs to start getting smart enough to bag these bucks on a regular basis. Only missed 1 yr tagging a BT out of the last 20, i feel fortunate. I do know if you pass up a legal buck, it may have been your only chance! Anyway if all works out you could camp at my camp, if you fly into Eugene you will not have much of a drive & I could meet you.

Been chasing blacktails all my life in NW Oregon, and with all my experience and knowledge it is still a gamble. Used to shoot the first thing that came along, but later became somewhat of a trophy hunter once I got enough self-control to pass up small bucks. For many years I killed a mature buck about every other year, but that ended about 8 years ago. Thought 2014 was going to be a winner since the season was scheduled to last through Nov. 7th, but though the the last week of the season was wet enough (you gotta have rain for good hunting) the temperature was in the mid to upper 50's and that is too warm. The season was disappointing to say the least. Saw a forked horn on Nov. 3rd and that was it. Never saw a deer up walking around after 0930, and most were at the crack of dawn. What I'm saying is, you can plan and do everything possible, but there are no guarantees There's a reason blacktails are the toughest big game animal in North America. And, hope you like brush, and don't mind getting soaking wet (rain gear is out because it's too noisy). My advice is to check out the possibility of doing some salmon fishing if the weather sucks. Hope you have a good time. Stay away from anyone that tells you they have blacktails all figured out - just means they're inexperienced and they've been lucky a few times. Got several months to answer any questions you might have.

Been chasing blacktails all my life in NW Oregon, and with all my experience and knowledge it is still a gamble. Used to shoot the first thing that came along, but later became somewhat of a trophy hunter once I got enough self-control to pass up small bucks. For many years I killed a mature buck about every other year, but that ended about 8 years ago. Thought 2014 was going to be a winner since the season was scheduled to last through Nov. 7th, but though the the last week of the season was wet enough (you gotta have rain for good hunting) the temperature was in the mid to upper 50's and that is too warm. The season was disappointing to say the least. Saw a forked horn on Nov. 3rd and that was it. Never saw a deer up walking around after 0930, and most were at the crack of dawn. What I'm saying is, you can plan and do everything possible, but there are no guarantees There's a reason blacktails are the toughest big game animal in North America. And, hope you like brush, and don't mind getting soaking wet (rain gear is out because it's too noisy). My advice is to check out the possibility of doing some salmon fishing if the weather sucks. Hope you have a good time. Stay away from anyone that tells you they have blacktails all figured out - just means they're inexperienced and they've been lucky a few times. Got several months to answer any questions you might have.

Thank you for the advise. We'll give it hell for a week and hope for the best. Looking forward to spending a week in Oregon chasing the ghost. Good huntin'

If this is your first trip to Western Oregon expect to see some beautiful country. Bring your very best waterproof hunting boots. Expect to be hunting some steep country or some very thick wet brush or both. Hunting Oregon Blacktail can be very challenging and if it were me I would not be picky when it comes to antler size. Enjoy your trip to the Great Northwest.

Big28 care about antler size,lol.He'll wipe the milk off its chin,and rub the spots off.Just kidding buddy

hey i know this is an old thread but i’m thinking about trying oregon blacktail in the late november early december archery season. I was looking at the Indigo unit for that. Anyone have any general advice Will they respond to rattling? Is it a good time to see them on their feet??
And finally is there any salmon or steelhead fishing going on then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back