Colorado's proposed Shed hunting Licensing and Season laws Grrrrrr

windymtnman

Well, I see Colorado Parks & Wildlife is holding hearings soon on their proposed shed antler licensing and seasons for gathering of them. Most of what I've read, is couched under the premise of keeping shed hunters out of the Wintering grounds and stressing big game that are trying to get through the balance of the Winter
Frankly, I'm not buying it. Rather, I think the biggest reason they want to pass this law is to generate revenue for an agency that is admittedly in rough fiscal shape. If stressing game in the Spring is their primarily focus, they can easily restrict shed hunting like they often do in the Gunnison Basin where the actual stressing of big game might be relevant. So, they could easily have their staff access areas on a case by case basis, rather than just make this a State law. Where I live in So. Central Colorado, we generally have pretty mild Winters and barren South slopes just days after we get a snowfall. I read some of the CPW's own information on this, and they are even internally wondering about the relevance of their own laws here. They talk about stressing big game, and yet there is a current article in the Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation magazine about how game departments haze their game with low level helicopters to do their game counts. They defend it by saying "we only do it once per year". So, can a shed hunter make that same claim, and have no repercussions?
Nope, I see this largely as a money grab, and to super regulate outdoor users in just another way. I would suggest that CPW be more inclined to support the citizens they serve in getting all the days in the great outdoors that a person can manage. We're living in a society that is under going a cultural shift with less people wanting to hunt and be outdoorsmen, etc. The proliferation of single parent families also impacts how many hunters of the future will be buying licenses, etc. I think the focus should be to get people out recreating as much as possible. It's like how CPW makes nonresidents now buy a fishing license when they purchase a big game tag. How many hunters like being forced to purchase a fishing license when they come to hunt Elk? I suppose a few might fish, but I suspect most come to hunt, period. I think this is a classic example of greed on behalf of CPW and they know the impact on the fish resource is minimal. How would you like to be forced to buy something you know you'll never use or need? Not me!

Im all for restricting access, I'm not ok with having to purchase a permit for those of us who already have hunting and fishing licenses. I think the bigger issue is, how in the hell is Parks and Wildlife low on funds with the enormous amount of tags they sell every year? What in the world are they doing with all that money? I'm not certain, but I have to imagine that Colorado has to be one of the top revenue earning states in the West when it comes to tag and license sales.

I would imagine this would be the least enforced game law on the books if passed. I mean maybe a warden would fine someone coming down with a load of sheds without a permit but tons of hippies and hikers pick up sheds and none of these folks would have any idea there was a season and permit required. I can just imagine my 75 year old neighbor getting a ticket and the fit she would throw.

I think it's a good idea in theory. But I think it should be some type of license needed for anyone selling/buying antlers in Colorado. That way, if you are profiting from a state resource, the state can get some change from your pockets. Maybe even something along the lines of if you have X amount/pounds of antlers you need license, that would keep anyone safe that was hiking and picks up a pair of sheds they find from being in any violation.

They talk about stressing big game, and yet there is a current article in the Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation magazine about how game departments haze their game with low level helicopters to do their game counts. They defend it by saying "we only do it once per year".

Once a year, for six-eight weeks max, if you don't count the tag 'em and bag 'em flights with the requisite follow up overflights from slightly higher with fixed wing, then the follow up snowmobile run (right into the herd) to come up with cause of mortality, but it's gotta be that dufus three miles over yonder walking in circles. This is a done deal, or I will (let my dog) eat a small fresh shed. It will make for an interesting show in how and against who they enforce it. My guess is those with a badge will have immunity here.

Yesterday, a low flying helicopter was flying around our ranch in a typical manner CPW does when they do their game census. I thought to myself, they're a tad early this year, and we don't even have snow to make that task more effective. However, they didn't canvas the area thoroughly and quit. So, now I'm thinking they'll be back a 2nd time or more?? So much for stressing the Elk....
If they pass this license and season law for sheds, I look for CPW to employ a tactic already in use in other types of game enforcement. Meaning, perhaps they'll plant a dandy Elk antler along a forest road, hunker down, and see if someone comes along and picks it up contrary to the license and season laws. I am pretty angry about this proposal, and wonder if picking up an arrowhead, a pretty rock, or a Pinon nut will be far behind?

That they are even considering a permit for non-commercial shed hunting is beyond stupid, and I've already voiced my opinion to a committee member, I hope they're actually listening...

Im all for restricting access, I'm not ok with having to purchase a permit for those of us who already have hunting and fishing licenses. I think the bigger issue is, how in the hell is Parks and Wildlife low on funds with the enormous amount of tags they sell every year? What in the world are they doing with all that money? I'm not certain, but I have to imagine that Colorado has to be one of the top revenue earning states in the West when it comes to tag and license sales.

Pretty sure the numbers are in the black, not in the red...

http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/CommissionMeeting2018-1.aspx

Link to listen is in the above.

Oak, Bio's point of view?

tons of hippies and hikers pick up sheds and none of these folks would have any idea there was a season and permit required

I can definitely see that happening. The only people who would have any clue about this potential rules change are commercial shed hunters, and hunters.

I get the reasoning behind wanting to get this under control, but I think this is the totally wrong approach.

It sounds like the closure passed, but no license being implemented. I had to stop listening due to a meeting, but I plan to rewind later.

This is gonna get so good!! We will have to implement an OTC tag to thin 'em out a bit... Oh wait, we already kill 'em that way.

Totally disagree with you here..... The time frame where shed hunters enter the wilds is right at a critical time for any big game animal. Game and fish has tried to keep people out during bad winters in many states but people continue to go out. Its a problem.... the solution to which I really don't know but I do believe game and fish needs to do something. Also the game survey is one day and not all parts of the unit, so yeah its less invasive in my opinion. You can have multiple people beating the bush to get sheds for a long time.....

Its a problem.... the solution to which I really don't know but I do believe game and fish needs to do something.

Don't just do something , stand there??

And on what do you base this ridiculous assertion? Sitting in Minnesota is hardly a ring-side seat.
Also the game survey is one day and not all parts of the unit, so yeah its less invasive in my opinion.

You can have multiple people beating the bush to get sheds for a long time.....
And the above should be followed up by... "without nearly as much stress as endless harassment by helicopters"

There... now we are much better!

There seems to be two magical days between Nov 20th and first week of June--- when we go from having too many animals and needing to shoot all we can (OTC tags,elk and ever increasing quotas of deer tags 25% increase year to year ad nauseum) to needing to save our devastated herds (Jan 01-May 01) doing whatever is necessary to save even one, then back to having a burgeoning herd in need of culling (quotas having been set/raised) from May 01 till Nov-20th.

I think if the herd is so hurting maybe we should stop killing them? Or at least the girls as "bonus" class B?

Or if it is so prolific maybe someone walking in circles isn't going to be the end of the species as we know it?

Seems to be just a slight hypocrisy hiding somewhere in there. Keeping in mind that harassing of wildlife is already in the books.

Seems that both of these scenarios give more $ and power to the DOW even if they do contradict each other, but that CAN'T BE IT.

I picture Squirrel and I in the old Subaru on a desperate road trip for an antler fix to Arizona this spring. Strange times the CPW has forced us into!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back