Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado unit 7/8

jwilliams82

Looks like I will be going on my first Colorado Elk hunt in Oct. We drew 1st rifle bull tags in unit 7/8. It is a pretty big area and I have never even been to Colorado. Does anyone have any tips or a starting point for me to map recon. I am coming in from louisiana so I will only get a few days right before the hunt to scout. Thanks for anything you may be able to share!

First steps would be to call all the local government officials in that area that you can Game Warden, Biologist, BLM office, etc. Go into the conversation with a game plan and some specific questions to draw out the information in which you are interested. Generally speaking that will likely point you in a few directions based on access, Herd information, and other inputs. Once you have that information get on your preferred maps, I feel like OnX provides a lot of value if you buy the state you are interested in and start looking for your potential hunting locations based on your research/experience.

Also search for Randy's e-scouting series and watch that as it provides a good tutorial for scouting from afar.

Thanks Boilermaker. I will start calling around to see what information I can find out.

First steps would be to call all the local government officials in that area that you can Game Warden, Biologist, BLM office, etc. Go into the conversation with a game plan and some specific questions to draw out the information in which you are interested. Generally speaking that will likely point you in a few directions based on access, Herd information, and other inputs. Once you have that information get on your preferred maps, I feel like OnX provides a lot of value if you buy the state you are interested in and start looking for your potential hunting locations based on your research/experience.

Also search for Randy's e-scouting series and watch that as it provides a good tutorial for scouting from afar.

I sent CPW a message on their site asking how to get in contact with a biologist, but haven't gotten anything back for a few days. Anyone know how I can find contact info for a biologist or someone to ask detailed questions to?

Are you planning to backpack in for several days or hunt from the roads?

We are considering both, but leaning toward backpacking in at least a mile. I would really like to backpack all the way in to the Rawah peaks in the SW corner of 7, but I don't think our group is ready for that, and it would require extra purchases not approved by the wife! Even if we choose to stay near the roads, we won't camp right on them. I would prefer to start the morning hunt a little farther in so I have less travel time to get where I want to be. All that said, I have a grand total of one other Elk hunt under my belt, and that was in AZ in much different terrain. So please do tell me if I am off in my thinking.

If you plan on backpacking in several miles, the Rawahs are probably your best bet. If you're hunting out of your truck or close to it, you can hunt anywhere from the Rawahs to the eastern part of Unit 8. Keep in mind there's private land on the northern part of unit 8 and some scattered throughout both units, so if you haven't already, you may want to get OnX maps to help with the borders.

If you plan on backpacking in several miles, the Rawahs are probably your best bet. If you're hunting out of your truck or close to it, you can hunt anywhere from the Rawahs to the eastern part of Unit 8. Keep in mind there's private land on the northern part of unit 8 and some scattered throughout both units, so if you haven't already, you may want to get OnX maps to help with the borders.

Is there usually snow on the Rawahs in Oct? 10-11000 ft? If there is, is it smarter to move across into 8 where it is a bit flatter and lower? Sorry, it is just hard for me to conceptualize this without being able to see it.

Is there usually snow on the Rawahs in Oct? 10-11000 ft? If there is, is it smarter to move across into 8 where it is a bit flatter and lower? Sorry, it is just hard for me to conceptualize this without being able to see it.

Its impossible to know. Be prepared for it.

Most years there's little snow that time of year, but it can happen and you should be prepared as vanish said. A couple of inches is no big deal but 6 inches and over could start to make a problem of the roads. We've rescued guys in third season in 8 after they spent a cold night in a rig that was stuck in a drift. Boy were they happy to see us. I suggest you should have several plans, then be flexible based on the weather. If a blizzards rolls in, it's time to move to lower ground.

Thanks DallSheep. We will keep our eye on the weather and bring some tire chains just in case.

If you guys don't mind I'm just going to keep the random questions going. If I do head into the Rawahs, or head over to the green ridge area just across the border of 7 and 8, how thick is the vegetation? What is general visibility like? Is glassing a common strategy out there or are vantage points where you can see through the trees rare? It looks, from the satellite images, as if the trees are pretty thick all over. What should I expect for shot distances?

Thanks DallSheep. We will keep our eye on the weather and bring some tire chains just in case.

If you guys don't mind I'm just going to keep the random questions going. If I do head into the Rawahs, or head over to the green ridge area just across the border of 7 and 8, how thick is the vegetation? What is general visibility like? Is glassing a common strategy out there or are vantage points where you can see through the trees rare? It looks, from the satellite images, as if the trees are pretty thick all over. What should I expect for shot distances?

It really depends on where you are in the units. Some areas are really think timber, others are more open where you can glass for a pretty good distance. Shot distances will depend on where you find them. If you happen to get on them in the timber, it could be a pretty close shot, if on an open slope 200+ yards. I would prepare for 300 yards and under. If you're not comfortable with a shot over 200 yards, then stick to 200 as your limit. Feel free to PM me with other questions and I'll try to help.

Looks like I will be going on my first Colorado Elk hunt in Oct. We drew 1st rifle bull tags in unit 7/8. It is a pretty big area and I have never even been to Colorado. Does anyone have any tips or a starting point for me to map recon. I am coming in from louisiana so I will only get a few days right before the hunt to scout. Thanks for anything you may be able to share!
Im planing on hunting 7 next year. How was your hunt? How the elk up there

Im planing on hunting 7 next year. How was your hunt? How the elk up there
Tip, check member activity by clicking on their name, he was around for about 2 months and hasn't been back in over 3 years. Lots of people join to ask a question and never come back.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back