Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado unit 54 Archery Deer Advice Needed

sprig86

Looking for some advice as I am planning on spending my 5 points for deer on an archery Deer tag in CO unit 54, and backpacking into the high country.
My questions are,
What type of terrain to look for on OnX?
Would it be better to hunt a dark moon or will that effect the deer in early season?
Would you expect to see elk at this time/elevation? (I have a buddy willing to go with me and he is thinking of taking an OTC archery elk tag)
What temperatures would you expect early-mid September at 10,000'+?
Would you try to hunt before the Muzzleloader deer season opens even if it means hunting the backside of a full moon?

Any advice appreciated as I am just looking for a cool experience and a respectable buck, not looking to kill the biggest buck on the MTN.

They will be at the very top in the salad bowls. I'd hunt opening weekend onward, hunting will become more and more difficult as the deer move out of the high country into the timber. Hence why archery and muzzy take lots of points, 2nd season requires none (even in units like 44) and 3rd and 4th require a bunch of points.
Moon.... meh
I saw elk on both my first and second go round... but the best way to ruin a 5 pt draw deer tag is to shoot an elk... just saying

Hot during the day cold 50s during the day around 20 at night. It got down to 9 the last night I was up there.

Yes I would hunt before muzzy, moon doesn't mean crap. You are glassing up bedded bucks and stalking them, your not sitting in a blind waiting for them to come to you. If anything having them taking naps during the day might help you in your stalk.

Be prepared to hike your butt off.... this is essentially a sheep hunt, hands down the most physical hunt I've done.

"Salad bowl"
1578972964663.png

They will be at the very top in the salad bowls. I'd hunt opening weekend onward, hunting will become more and more difficult as the deer move out of the high country into the timber. Hence why archery and muzzy take lots of points, 2nd season requires none (even in units like 44) and 3rd and 4th require a bunch of points.
Moon.... meh
I saw elk on both my first and second go round... but the best way to ruin a 5 pt draw deer tag is to shoot an elk... just saying

Hot during the day cold 50s during the day around 20 at night. It got down to 9 the last night I was up there.

Yes I would hunt before muzzy, moon doesn't mean crap. You are glassing up bedded bucks and stalking them, your not sitting in a blind waiting for them to come to you. If anything having them taking naps during the day might help you in your stalk.

Be prepared to hike your butt off.... this is essentially a sheep hunt, hands down the most physical hunt I've done.

"Salad bowl"
View attachment 125336
Great advice, thank you so much for the insight Wllm1313. Much of that was what I was thinking/hoping to hear

Not a lot more to add to wllm1313’s post as far as deer go. But 54 is limited for archery elk, assuming you’re both non-res it was 61% to draw that tag last year with no points. Another pic from 54, he’s not exaggerating, that shit is steep and the pictures really don’t do it justice.BBF8555F-F852-4011-935C-638A96842313.jpeg

Not a lot more to add to wllm1313’s post as far as deer go. But 54 is limited for archery elk, assuming you’re both non-res it was 61% to draw that tag last year with no points. Another pic from 54, he’s not exaggerating, that shit is steep and the pictures really don’t do it justice.View attachment 125411
Thanks for the added insight, not sure how I missed the elk tag being a draw tag, but my bad. That picture is intimidating for sure, but I would imagine the deer quality makes it worth it?

Thanks for the added insight, not sure how I missed the elk tag being a draw tag, but my bad. That picture is intimidating for sure, but I would imagine the deer quality makes it worth it?

Getting to be up in the high alpine chasing bucks in the velvet in the summer makes it worth it :)

Same herd of deer from Sept. to November

Generally speaking this is why things look the way the do in CO

A= High alpine visable
M= High alpine longer ranch weapon
2nd = Deer in the timber hard to find
3rd = Deer starting to show up in the sage flats
4th = Rut starting lots of bucks in the sage slats.

1579037889319.png

I don’t have enough knowledge of the deer in the unit to give a valid opinion. It’s cool, rough country, and I think there’s enough nooks and crannies for deer to hide in to make it a fun hunt though.

I wouldn't count on cool temps in Sept. I hunt the muzzleloader season which s mid Sept at 11,000-12,000ft and daytime temps can be 40-80's. You just never know with Colorado mountains. So, be prepared for anything.

Get high. Use your glass. Then your boots. Then your patience. In that order.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back