Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado unit 50/501/500 Deer

Matthunts7

Good morning!

So I was lucky enough to draw a tag close to our base this year, which will allow us to scout lots. My wife and I will be hunting 3rd season up in unit 50/500/501. We have been looking a lot in unit 501 quite a bit. Done some hiking up out of Deckers in the burn area and also scouted around lost creek and the lost creek wilderness area. Some good looking country! Has anyone hunted any of these units? We would love to chat and just get your take on the area a little more. No honey holes requested. We want to hike and work hard but also love the hunting community and talking with folks who have knowledge. Thanks so much!

-Matt

That’s unfortunate in a world where hunting is shrinking that some people see other hunters looking to learn new stuff as something that “gets old”, especially ones who have been scouting and area for the last two years and were excited about drawing a tag I’ve been wanting during my last year here in Colorado. Appreciate your input though. Maybe I’ll look elsewhere. Seems like every post I’ve read on hunttalk is usually about people looking for info. Sleeping bags, binos, rifles, and such. “We see that a lot”. Very welcoming into “your” community. Best of luck in your hunting season too! Really wish there was a place where hunters could talk and build a stronger community.

That’s unfortunate in a world where hunting is shrinking that some people see other hunters looking to learn new stuff as something that “gets old”, especially ones who have been scouting and area for the last two years and were excited about drawing a tag I’ve been wanting during my last year here in Colorado. Appreciate your input though. Maybe I’ll look elsewhere. Seems like every post I’ve read on hunttalk is usually about people looking for info. Sleeping bags, binos, rifles, and such. “We see that a lot”. Very welcoming into “your” community. Best of luck in your hunting season too! Really wish there was a place where hunters could talk and build a stronger community.
Don’t leave, you will get good info, hang out, load a story of a past hunt trip and everyone will lighten up. It just gets old when people log on, ask for info, never contribute, and never respond after their first post even after receiving info.

I simply answered your question and in your 6th post you think you understand this forum to make those kinda of remarks. For your information this site is full of folks who contribute and communicate on all types of topics. With that attitude, maybe you should leave. There is a good dumpster fire site you may fit into better. Its all about throwing a fit when you don’t get the answer you want to your question.

Don’t leave, you will get good info, hang out, load a story of a past hunt trip and everyone will lighten up. It just gets old when people log on, ask for info, never contribute, and never respond after their first post even after receiving info.

I definitely understand how that could get old! This will be my first year hunting in that area.
Had a great hunt last year up in the Big Timber, Montana area. Was lucky enough to connect on a great buck and got to see my dad take a buck the same day! One of our best days of hunting together!

Attachments

• A30B39B7-8924-45D9-968C-45362157664A.jpeg
    A30B39B7-8924-45D9-968C-45362157664A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
I simply answered your question and in your 6th post you think you understand this forum to make those kinda of remarks. For your information this site is full of folks who contribute and communicate on all types of topics. With that attitude, maybe you should leave. There is a good dumpster fire site you may fit into better. Its all about throwing a fit when you don’t get the answer you want to your question.

I appricate the feedback. I’ll try to build a little better reputation. Seriously not looking to start a keyboard fight.Sorry if I came off rude. Wasn’t the intention!I think the hunting to community is like a big family, like the military,and I’m not trying to ruffle feathers. Hope to have lots of good interactions on here.

I appricate the feedback. I’ll try to build a little better reputation. Seriously not looking to start a keyboard fight.Sorry if I came off rude. Wasn’t the intention!I think the hunting to community is like a big family, like the military,and I’m not trying to ruffle feathers. Hope to have lots of good interactions on here.
Hang around the forum a bit and you’ll get to understand why you got the reaction you got. There’s a ton of people that show
Up post a question about unit specific info then disappear. It’s kind of a forum etiquette if you will. Nothing against you. You got to understand if everyone posted about every unit there wouldn’t be very many honey holes left. Plus finding them for yourself is part of the fun of the hunt. If you don’t believe me Get to know a unit That you like to hunt and the see someone giving specific info around where you hunt and you will
Quickly cringe.

with that said welcome to the forum and good luck on your hunt the more people contributing to the forums the better.

Hang around the forum a bit and you’ll get to understand why you got the reaction you got. There’s a ton of people that show
Up post a question about unit specific info then disappear. It’s kind of a forum etiquette if you will. Nothing against you. You got to understand if everyone posted about every unit there wouldn’t be very many honey holes left. Plus finding them for yourself is part of the fun of the hunt. If you don’t believe me Get to know a unit That you like to hunt and the see someone giving specific info around where you hunt and you will
Quickly cringe.

with that said welcome to the forum and good luck on your hunt the more people contributing to the forums the better.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it! New to the forum thing! I love talking units with any of the guys and girls I work with or new hunters in person, but obviously not exactly where to go but don’t mind sharing things ive learned one bit. I can see what your saying about online post though, not quite as personal and always out there for a quick google for people.

Thank you for the welcome! Glad I finally joined. I’ve been reading the threads for a while and wanting to join. Best of luck in all your hunts this year!

Last edited:
I grew up in Woodland Park so I spent a bunch of time hunting north of HW 24. The burn area has been great for the past several years. We had pretty good success hunting near Tarryall. There is pretty good access and if you are willing to get out of your truck and hike you will find deer. All the way from Bradley peak to the reservour is pretty good. There is spotty private along the road but if you have Basemap or OnX you should be good. You will find some road hunters but get out and hike. Its been a couple years since I have hunted the area but if you take Hay Creek Road, or road 77 you can find places to park and hunt. Good luck

Well.... I have the 4th season tag. So I’m counting on you to bird dog ‘em for me but leave a few for me to look at and one nice one to bring back to TX. I worked at a dude ranch in the unit and vacation there with the family when my boys were younger. Met my wife while working there. So this will be a special hunt for me. I‘ve never hunted the area and all of my time has been centered around Goose Creek To the Platte. Watched several videos of hikers doing Lost Creek Wilderness hikes. Little did they know they were helping my scouting. Season will be here soon! There are some nice ones in the unit. Here’s to hoping we both have the adventure we desire and get lucky enough to bring one home.

I grew up in Woodland Park so I spent a bunch of time hunting north of HW 24. The burn area has been great for the past several years. We had pretty good success hunting near Tarryall. There is pretty good access and if you are willing to get out of your truck and hike you will find deer. All the way from Bradley peak to the reservour is pretty good. There is spotty private along the road but if you have Basemap or OnX you should be good. You will find some road hunters but get out and hike. Its been a couple years since I have hunted the area but if you take Hay Creek Road, or road 77 you can find places to park and hunt. Good luck
Thanks so much for the response! My wife and I spent all day up in there scouting mainly the northeast and eastern part of the unit, from the burns to the edge of the wilderness area. Found some really great areas! We will continue to explore all summer and fall and hope the number of hikers and campers dwindles down a bit. Glad to see people out enjoying but wow there was a lot of people up in there. Definitely see what you are saying though. Anytime we got a half mile off the road into any of the areas we quickly became the only ones there. I like to try to get up high usually but it seemed like some of the higher stuff was just dense timber. Going to be a good fall and summer seeing more of the unit. Thanks again!!

Well.... I have the 4th season tag. So I’m counting on you to bird dog ‘em for me but leave a few for me to look at and one nice one to bring back to TX. I worked at a dude ranch in the unit and vacation there with the family when my boys were younger. Met my wife while working there. So this will be a special hunt for me. I‘ve never hunted the area and all of my time has been centered around Goose Creek To the Platte. Watched several videos of hikers doing Lost Creek Wilderness hikes. Little did they know they were helping my scouting. Season will be here soon! There are some nice ones in the unit. Here’s to hoping we both have the adventure we desire and get lucky enough to bring one home.
Hey congrats on the 4th season tag! I’ll try to shoot you a message on here after I get done and let you know how it goes! Pretty neat you get to hunt such a special area for you! This will be my wife’s first time going mule deer hunting with me this year, so we are really excited for the special hunt too! If you make it up here before the season reach out and we can chat! Thanks for the response!

Back