Colorado Unit 444

OZapo1986

Hello all,

New to the forum and first post. Last year my hunting partner and I got talked into hunting unit 444 2nd rifle season, we had been hunting unit 54, we put some miles on and saw a fair amount of sign but the elk eluded us or other hunters got the shots. We did manage to take 3 doe last year. This year we are planning on going back. We will have cow and OTC bull tags, one with a buck tag, and 2 bear tags in our group.

Last year we spent our last 3 days hunting in the Holly Cross Wilderness area in the vicinity of Tellurium Lake. The plan this year is to base camp next to the trail head on Last Chance Creek and spike camp close to Tellurium Lake for the first 3 days of the season. My buddy is planning on taking a scouting trip to the area the 3rd week of August.

I have been over the maps and after what we saw last year we think our best chance is to get back in the wilderness and let the elk get pushed back to us off of Burnt Mountain or find some less pressured elk in the wilderness hopefully.

I am hoping to find someone that has been to this area before and might have some pointers for us. Having only been there one season I know there are elk there and it will take some work to find them but if anyone has information that would help narrow our search I would greatly appreciate it.

Unit 54 is a good unit and we may decide to head back there after this year depending on how it goes. However the availability of OTC tags for second rifle and a higher chance to draw a deer and/or a cow tag in 444 are a big reason we aren't going back to 54 this year. There were more weekend hunters it seemed in 444 but they mainly stayed within a mile of any road and the amount of hunters dropped by at least 75% on Monday.

It sounds like you are on the right track. You may also want to check out the top of red table mountain near the northern border of the unit. There is a roadless area there, with a proposal out to designate it as wilderness.

Thank you Jerky. We looked Red Table Mountain over last year but decided that we liked the wilderness area better. We may do some exploring over there this year if we have time.

Back