Colorado Unit 40

Ron B

Myself and a friend have 7pp's for Elk. We're looking to archery hunt this fall, DIY. Any legal bull would be ok with us, just looking for an area that may give us an oportunity. Anyone that has hunted this unit in the past would like to talk to you. Thanks all.

with 7 pp I would think you could hold out for something a little bigger than any legal bull...just my thoughts

unit 40

I talked with the DWM Ty Smith last week in unit 40, and he mentioned the issue with the private land and difficultly in reaching some of the public lands. I was interested in submitting for a 3rd or 4th season tag, but am still searching around.

You can normally get into elk on any NF or BLM lands in Colorado if your willing to hike. Units 47, 45, 36, 65, 53, 43, Grand Mesa, Flattops, etc. all hold good quantities of game. I would focus on areas away from horse trails or 4WD drive roads. Look at google earth and find slopes with dark timber on east/north facing slopes and aspen on the south/west facing slopes about mile off the road and you will find elk.

Crazy situation, a friend hunted unit 12 many times 10+ yrs ago. While @ sportsmens show last wk and speaking to Biologist from area 12 he asked "what do u want from your hunt". We both replied that taking a bull with a bow would be special. I've taken a cow with a bow and a bull with muzzleloader, friend, new to hunting out west has taken neither. We're both touching 70 yrs old and don't know how many of these trips we have left. Use our 7pp to go into area 40 where public land is at a premium or go into area 12 where we have some inside info. and told by Biologist that there are lots of elk in unit 12 and less people since u need a couple of pp's to hunt there.

Unit 40 archery hunt

I have hunted in unit 40 with a friend several years ago. I thought I had enough points for the muzzle tag and he applied for archery. I missed it that year and he drew. We went scouting several times and were very happy with the scouting trips. We saw big bulls and lots of them.

We showed up for the hunt and the scouting was a joke. We were camping in area of the Fruita reservoirs. It was a great area but it seemed like all the elk had disappeared. We hunted by the area hard for three or four days and never saw an elk. We even had a very large early snow storm. No tracks in the area. While camping in the area we had several trucks pull into the area and off load numerous guys who would shoot handguns every day. We later learned they were from the Gabo Cattle Company (not sure on the spelling) and that is a annual problem with outfitters and ranches in the area.

We hunted hard for 10 days and ended up seeing a few bulls in the 330 class in different areas. We did see one bull that was in the 370 class. My friend blew it on several opportunities at 300 class bulls.

Long story short…I have not applied for the unit even though I have more than enough points for the muzzle loader tag. It can be done and there are some big elk there but it is not an enjoyable hunt to me. False signs placed all over the place listing areas as private property etc. If you are dead set on the area I can point you to a few spots but I would hold the points and try for somewhere else.

I am now sitting at 14 points for elk and can’t decide where to go.

Unit 40

Utah400elk
We're really up in the air with what to do. I here some good and some bad with area 40. If you have a chance send me an e-mail @ [email protected] I have a couple of other questions.
I have a friend with 16pp's and hoping to archery hunt in area 61 this fall, you'er just a year or 2 behind him and it's suppose to be one of the best in the state.

We were camping in area of the Fruita reservoirs

We camped in the same area for my first elk hunt. I was hunting with several locals. Five tags and none filled, very few elk seen and no shot opportunities for cows or bulls. The camp food was fantastic though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back