Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Unit 2 Bull Muzzy tag

A good friend of mine drew the CO unit 2 Muzzy bull tag after 29 years. I plan on helping him since he hasnt hunted elk in many years. I hunted there years ago and was hoping to visit with anyone whom hunted it for elk. If anyone would be willing to share info please PM me. Thanks
A friend of mine drew the archery tag in 2006 we had a great hunt. Another friend drew it in 2016 also got to tag along some of the property we had gained access to cross onto BLM had sold and access was a bit of an issue. Both years there were not a lot of cows (elk) in the unit but they could be found anywhere near water it's a desert. The bulls summer and come out of dinosaur and if they get pressured they head strait back in but hunting the edges is really productive. With the craze over finding those giant desert bulls in the last 20 years most tag holders who hire an outfitter in there will have an army of spotters and probably some influencer camera flunky. I'd scout hard and plan on packing in as far as you can away from roads and pick a spot and pack in a cache of water it's hard to come by in there.

A friend of mine drew the archery tag in 2006 we had a great hunt. Another friend drew it in 2016 also got to tag along some of the property we had gained access to cross onto BLM had sold and access was a bit of an issue. Both years there were not a lot of cows (elk) in the unit but they could be found anywhere near water it's a desert. The bulls summer and come out of dinosaur and if they get pressured they head strait back in but hunting the edges is really productive. With the craze over finding those giant desert bulls in the last 20 years most tag holders who hire an outfitter in there will have an army of spotters and probably some influencer camera flunky. I'd scout hard and plan on packing in as far as you can away from roads and pick a spot and pack in a cache of water it's hard to come by in there.

Did you notice much difference in herd numbers from 2006 compared to 2016? Same question regarding big bulls.

Did you notice much difference in herd numbers from 2006 compared to 2016? Same question regarding big bulls.
Numbers were lower in 2016 but quality was the same we didn't have any problem finding bulls just not as many. And cow numbers have always been low in this unit imo. I think a lot of cows winter in there but it's not the best area for calving or summer loafing for em.

I been there 5 times over the last 12 years and I think there are less elk in general every time I go there and not as many big ones. Could be weather related each year also. Last year I know a guide that went and he never filled his tag because he was looking for a 360 bull and couldn't find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back