colorado unit 14

chris_l

I'm starting to accumulate a good portion of my gear now and am planning to head out this weekend around home for an overnight backpacking trip to give everything a trial run. I have been walking with a 40# pack between 2 and 3 miles about every other day. I have also been researching areas and harvest reports and populations and was thinking of trying unit 14. My dad want to go with a muzzleloader and we both bought preference points this year. I was hoping to get some input if this would be a good area to get my feet wet in. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole in anyway. Thanks

I hunted unit 14 archery a few years ago. Found elk but could not close the deal. If I would of had my muzzleloader I am sure I would of had my elk. Should be a good hunt.

GMU 14 is loaded with elk, but don't expect a trophy. I've hunted Soda Creek and Gun Creek outside of Steamboat Springs (the trailhead is up the road you take to get to Strawberry Park Hotsprings). I've seen guys kill elk up those drainages, and I've seen elk myself, but haven't killed one. Gun Creek is really rough -- narrow and steep and probably doesn't hold many elk. Soda Creek gets lots of pressure.

I have also seen elk up Mad Creek.

In any case, you've got as good a shot in GMU 14 as anywhere, maybe even better given the herd numbers. If I were hunting muzzey season, I'd be high (about 9,000 feet or above in that area) and deep in the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness.

Good luck.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back