Caribou Gear

Colorado statewide tag

Marymor

Hi. I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on where to start scouting this spring for a Colorado B&C buck. I was fortune enough to get a Colorado statewide pronghorn tag at the local Muley Fanatics banquet yesterday and needless to say, have antelope on the brain today. I know to start researching North Park, Moffatt County and the San Luis Valley, but where else would be good to look into? I’ve killed lots of pronghorn does in WY, but this will be my first buck and first CO pronghorn. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome
CC.jpg

Unfortunately, northern Colorado is inundated with private land and most of the land I see speedgoat on is usually private.

I also couldn't tell you what a B&C buck looks like. I hunt for meat and horns taste like shit, so the boone and crockett scale means nothing to me.

Lots of resources out there better than the snarky opinions on this forum. Do you have to pick a unit?

Lots of resources out there better than the snarky opinions on this forum. Do you have to pick a unit?
Hah! Yah, I was hoping for some collective wisdom, but I guess snark works too. I do have a couple contacts at CPW I’ll be visiting with to their take on where to spend some time. Between that and serious scouting time I think I can find one I like. I know a couple folks that have taken B&C bucks here in CO, so I know they exist.

I have to let CPW know where I’ll be hunting before I go out, but I can bounce around to any open unit during the auction\raffle tag season.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on that tag! I wish I had enough knowledge of Colorado to be of help. I've only hunted CO once, near Craig, and saw pronghorn but nothing worth a state-wide tag. Good luck!

Wow. What a first buck antelope tag. Good luck. Please post updates. We’d love to see what you turn up.

Hey @Marymor I don’t claim to know much about CO antelope hunting, but you almost have to check out 201 with a tag like that, right? It takes 20 points to draw it for everyone else. There are hardly any tags issued. It’s adjacent to big buck country in Wyo. It’s gotta be worth some time, I’d think.

Last edited:
Hey @Marymor I don’t claim to know much about CO antelope hunting, but you almost have to check out 201 with a tag like that, right? It takes 20 points to draw it for everyone else. There aren’t hardly any tags issued. It’s adjacent to big buck country in Wyo. It’s gotta be worth some time, I’d think.
Rmyoung1 has a point. Dig into the draw odds and you will likely narrow down your target area pretty quickly. then see how much public land is available to hunt and/or start knocking on doors or calling in favors for access. Unit 123454 could be the greatest thing out there but no access can cut a trip short real quick. Search box on this forum is also a good place to kill some time.

I also couldn't tell you what a B&C buck looks like. I hunt for meat and horns taste like shit, so the boone and crockett scale means nothing to me.

@Marymor , this wasn't meant to be disrespectful in any way. I was just being honest. I don't really even know what B&C is or I think there is also a P&Y. What I have been told is that it's a measurement of the horns, antlers. Something I have never done nor been interested in. But if that is your thing, more power to you. Although I can't look at an animal and say that its "B&C", I will tell you that I have seen some of the biggest antelope bucks that I have ever seen near Walden, CO. When I say big, not only do they have a tall and wide rack, they are also big bodied...for a speedgoat. Good luck in your hunt and congratulations on your tag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back