Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado ski partners wanted

I do not ski, so I am ignorant, but why do they close if they have a 200 inch base? Ski hills in the Midwest would be happy with a 20 inch base let alone a 200 inch base.
You hear various reasons such as “condition of their forest service leases”, “no profit in late season skiing because it’s mostly locals on season passes who don’t spend much $ on the mountain” and “seasonal J-1 workers have to go back home so they don’t overstay their visas”. I’m not sure what to believe. Maybe a combination of all of them. Some resorts such as Snowbird in UT and Arapaho Basin in CO are well known for keeping things open so long as there’s snow. There’s speculation that Snowbird is hoping to set a record and be open thru July 4 this year.

You hear various reasons such as “condition of their forest service leases”, “no profit in late season skiing because it’s mostly locals on season passes who don’t spend much $ on the mountain” and “seasonal J-1 workers have to go back home so they don’t overstay their visas”. I’m not sure what to believe. Maybe a combination of all of them. Some resorts such as Snowbird in UT and Arapaho Basin in CO are well known for keeping things open so long as there’s snow. There’s speculation that Snowbird is hoping to set a record and be open thru July 4 this year.
I believe it may be a bit of all the above, and....from my years on patrol at Winter Park/MJ many of the top dogs in the departments were on to their other seasonal summer jobs. Many of us worked construction in the summer , I was a concrete finisher, so there is that , too! Forest service leases are way convoluted and it has to do with dates and heartbeats , if that makes any sense!

IMG_20230530_080816079_HDR.jpg

Ever been distracted by the view of north twilight driving south on 550?

This is from Tuesday - you seem to like camping and skinning, next year come in May when it gets good/safe, come down to the San Juans and I'll lead you on a tour.

IMG_20230530_122828379_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back