Colorado otc deer tags.

TwoLugz

My brother and I are trying to plan a Colorado deer hunt. We didn't draw a tag this year, so we are relying on otc tags. Does anyone have suggestions on which units to look for that may have otc tags available come August, with decent access to public land? The only units I found so far that look promising are units 125 and 103.

You can apply for something that is left in the second draw but likely very few if any decent tags out of that pool will make it to August. Your best bet if you have to wait till August is watch the leftover list. It is updated daily with returned tags. You could get very lucky and get a good tag, only junk tags left, or get nothing. Do some research and see what works best for you. It is a dynamic situation that doesn’t have a clear answer without you writing an essay on the experience your looking for.

From Page 20 of the CO Big Game booklet (section entitled deer):

"NOTE: Most deer licenses are limited and available only through the draw(s). Over-the-counter licenses for white-tailed deer are available in certain units with lower populations. See the map and details, page 33."

AZ has OTC Deer, not elk. CO has OTC elk, not deer
- both states have exceptions for extremely low populated GMUs. I wouldn't travel for those tags.

I wouldn't recommend those whitetail tags to anyone except a local with whitetails on their property.

Edit: You mentioned unit 103, but that unit is highly controlled by the draw. The OTC tags don't apply there.

You could try for left over deer tags in southern AZ, I think WY will have some leftover tags for whitetails. You could do the hunt Randy did one year

You won’t find OTC in Colorado and the Wyoming leftovers aren’t the quality of past years.

Look to Idaho.

From Page 20 of the CO Big Game booklet (section entitled deer):

"NOTE: Most deer licenses are limited and available only through the draw(s). Over-the-counter licenses for white-tailed deer are available in certain units with lower populations. See the map and details, page 33."

AZ has OTC Deer, not elk. CO has OTC elk, not deer
- both states have exceptions for extremely low populated GMUs. I wouldn't travel for those tags.
Az has otc elk

Az has otc elk

Yes, in areas with extremely low density. Sure it's something but I think success rate is low single digits. If I lived closer to one of those units, I would try but it would be tough for a one week hunt - and I live in AZ.

Yes, in areas with extremely low density. Sure it's something but I think success rate is low single digits. If I lived closer to one of those units, I would try but it would be tough for a one week hunt - and I live in AZ.
Lol, it's horrible. Tried the Alamo lake area the first year it came open, didn't even see a track. I think those hunts are geared towards locals and outfitters

I think Big Fin killed an elk in one of those areas but I'm not Big Fin! There are different low density areas though. I think there are some that are draw but AZGFD warns you not to apply for them or you WILL lose your points. Pick them up as left over tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back