Colorado OTC Archery Unit 15

Elk Arrow

We are looking at bivy hunting Unit 15 this year in the Gore Mountain area. Just wondering if anyone has experience in the area? What is the hunting pressure like during the ladder part of September? Our intent is to hike in a few miles with our camp on our backs for a few days then return to the truck to resupply, evaluate, then head back in for a few more days or relocate.

Thanks for any insight or advice.

I can't speak for archery season, but I know other portions of unit 15 are a zoo come second season. I've read on other posts that it's busy in that part of the unit during archery as well. With that being said, it's Colorado and EVERY OTC unit has heavy pressure. Hike up and over the nastiest mountain you see and you can get away from most.

I believe it is always a good idea to return to the truck and resupply after a few days. This forces you to reevaluate if it's worth hiking all the way back in, or move locations. As always, boots on the ground prior to the season starting is the best experience to know if your initial hike in will be worth it or not. Regardless of everyone's opinion, get out and DO IT!

I have hunted unit 15 more than any other unit. 5 seasons total. It is thick forest and lots of deadfall. Their is heavy pressure especially next to all of the old logging roads. The ranchers/outfitters try and drive the elk over onto the south side of the unit closer to private land where they guide out of. I have seen them do it two out of the five seasons I have been back there. Also watch out for the road hunters from Denver. I have seen people in two wheel drive vehicles driving the roads with no gear just rifles and blaze orange. Stick to going deep and ugly otherwise you ll be in a race if you spot game.

I have hunted unit 15 more than any other unit. 5 seasons total. It is thick forest and lots of deadfall. Their is heavy pressure especially next to all of the old logging roads. The ranchers/outfitters try and drive the elk over onto the south side of the unit closer to private land where they guide out of. I have seen them do it two out of the five seasons I have been back there. Also watch out for the road hunters from Denver. I have seen people in two wheel drive vehicles driving the roads with no gear just rifles and blaze orange. Stick to going deep and ugly otherwise you ll be in a race if you spot game.
Pretty sure that there are people from every state/ city that road hunt, not just people from Denver.

I archery hunted it from 05-07, but had no idea what I was doing (I guess it is arguable if I do now), by the third year I was starting to have some encounters. Learned quite a bit....

Regardless, I was able to get away from people. We didn't really see a ton of archery hunters. We were going in from the east side of the unit, and primarily hunted the wilderness, I am not sure if the western access points are busier.

Back