PEAX Equipment

Colorado otc archery for a solo beginner.

Bigcat

First post here I've been reading a lot of different threads and getting some good info but wanted to ask a few ? Myself. I'm 38 been hunting since I was 12 for whitetail in pa but never been west. It's looking like I will be able to make a trip out this year to Colorado for a otc archery hunt. As of now it's looking like it will be a solo hunt so I was looking for some advice on what equipment I will need and how I should hunt it. Such as camping where I end up or if I should return to a camp sight every night. I have a good gps and a small backtrack for a backup also planning on getting a filtration system but wanted to pick up some pointers from you guys here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Before I make many suggestions, how much backpacking experience and gear do you have?

Regardless, for a first time elk hunter going solo, I would advise you to do a car camp and keep things mobile. Elk hunting isn't easy, and the comfort of a car camp can keep you in the game longer. It allows you to move areas more easily if you're not finding sign. You probably already have the needed gear if doing a car camp.

Vanish I don't have much backpacking exp and gear. My main pack would be a horn Hunter full curl with a tz2220 attached if needed.

Last edited:
No I haven't that's one of the reasons I'm asking here.

I would suggest something along the lines of what Vanish said above... Elk hunting itself is difficult enough, let alone for a first time backcountry hunt done SOLO. That's quite a few dominos on unstable ground.

One thing I would suggest would be ONXmaps and/or Google Earth. Scout areas prior to even packing a bag. The tools that exist in todays world for hunters make preparation much easier and more efficient than back in the hay day of hunting, so keep in mind "K.I.S.S"... Not to say you are stupid, it's just a saying. Get comfortable with the type of hunt you prefer and move up from there. Backcountry is a hell of a stepping stone to start with!

I think the car camping is a great idea for the first time. That would be way better than committing to some region that looks good on a map. I also think getting something like a Spot would be a good idea in case things go wrong.

I did it for my first time out here last year, however, I had camped a good bit before I came. Not quite like it is up here but still you realize stuff you need. There are many great post on here already if you use the search and thats what helped me with the things I didn't know. Tons of videos on youtube for backpack bag dumps and so forth. I wouldn't give anything for this past year with just keeping my gear on my back and camping whereever I ended for the night. However, went back with a few friends to help them out that were car camping and that was a lot of fun too.

If I were you I would come ready for both. When you get up here you can do the backpacking thing a couple nights and see if you like it. If not then you have the car camp to fall back too. The main thing is try to cut the weight if you backpacking and don't try to overdo or you'll burn yourself out.

Good luck this fall.

First post here I've been reading a lot of different threads and getting some good info but wanted to ask a few ? Myself. I'm 38 been hunting since I was 12 for whitetail in pa but never been west. It's looking like I will be able to make a trip out this year to Colorado for a otc archery hunt. As of now it's looking like it will be a solo hunt so I was looking for some advice on what equipment I will need and how I should hunt it. Such as camping where I end up or if I should return to a camp sight every night. I have a good gps and a small backtrack for a backup also planning on getting a filtration system but wanted to pick up some pointers from you guys here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

where in PA are you from?

An archery solo hunt your first time out is a big step. If it's warm, efficiently quartering and packing out an animal is a task in and of itself.

Yeah I've been looking on google earth ZFAVA. Spot is something I will also look into POW thank you.
Is it a good idea to bring out a atv also?

where in PA are you from?

An archery solo hunt your first time out is a big step. If it's warm, efficiently quartering and packing out an animal is a task in and of itself.
Close to Brookville

Consider a Colorado archery antelope hunt this year. Better chance for success and you still get to experience Western hunting. This might also allow you the time to scout an OTC elk unit for the future.
I do understand that elk are a dream animal for many. They sure have been for me. But don't overlook other Western opportunities that will allow you to be out there.

Car camp for sure. Backpacking at altitude is tough, even for those of us that live relatively high. Heck, most people from the low country have a hard time walking around, much less carrying 40 lbs of gear in the mountains. If you plan to hunt at or above 10,000 ft, you would do well to watch for signs of altitude sickness.

CO antelope would not be my first choice - my experience is that they are mostly in Eastern CO which is mostly private land. Maybe 3855WIN is thinking of a guided hunt?? In any case, there aren't many antelope in areas that have elk, so you won't get too many elk scouting opportunities in antelope country.

Car camp probably would be the best route to go. I'm sure altitude is gonna be a issue also so the less I gotta pack around the better I'll make out. As for packing out I'm sure that will be a chore but I hope it's a problem I will have. Thanks for the input.

I have been hunting the CO Rockies for over a decade, I usually have one other person with me but we hunt separately a lot. Pick an area and go discover what's there. I would stay out in the mountains and sleep where nighttime finds you. Just use common sense, let family know the areas you will be in, don't sleep with bacon under your pillow, and don't take unnecessary risks. If you have any gear questions feel free to PM me or ask others on here.

Part of preparing for your adventure is setting or recognizing your expectations for the hunt. Examples, in a suggested order: Keep safe. Maintain a level of comfort that allows active hunting. Enjoy the trip. Navigate to likely habitat (and back!). Learn how and where to find elk in the area. See and hear elk. Hunt where elk are seen. Be within range of elk. Take a good shot. Harvest an elk. Harvest a bull. Harvest a stud. Dress and pack out your harvest.

Your expectations will determine how far along this progression you will be satisfied. Odds are high that you will learn where elk have been in your area. You may get to see elk and hunt where they were. Past that, each step gets less likely. Be fully prepared for the last step, the kill can happen unexpectedly. I invested several seasons before I tagged my 1st elk. My best hunts have not all ended w bloody hands.

Thanks guys. As far as expectations getting out there and back to the family is #1. I also understand that the success rate for someone who has never been out there and hunted elk is gonna be low. But know there is a chance and I have to be ready for it to happen

I made my first trip out west from MI to CO last September to chase elk. My original plan was to pack in and ended up talking myself into doing a base camp and I'm glad I did. I ended up getting on elk but couldn't close the deal and learned a ton, especially knowing your limits. We got on a bull around 3.5 miles from trail head in a nasty blow down area that for a flat lander would have probably killed us trying to get one out before the meat went bad if we did connect. I would have loved to go deeper but I knew if we did get one down we would have tough. Topography was another learning curve, never being in mountains you don't have anything to relate to. Looking at it on Google earth and topo maps can be deceiving.

Also learn how to tell a real elk bugle from a hunter... I've called in more hunters than I have ever called in elk lol

I am surprised no one mentioned good boots that fit well yet. I think they are the most important piece of gear you have in addition to your weapon. Make sure they are broken in and have good ankle support. If you aren't accustomed to sidehilling it can be really rough on your feet and ankles even with good boots. I am also originally from PA, and the mountains here are on a whole different level than the PA "mountains." Best of luck with your hunt! I have seen some nice bulls running around so far this year.

Back