Colorado OTC 2nd Rifle or Montana General Elk

stealthy_bowman

Hi all,
Hoping to finally go elk hunting for the first time this fall and I have been considering either CO OTC 2nd rifle season or hunting a Montana general elk tag unit. Was hoping to gain some insights as to which may be the better option for a first timer? I have been a life-long deer hunter, mostly whitetails in the east, but have also been on multiple DIY mule deer hunts out west with very good success, that said, I do realize Elk are a totally different ball game, thus my expectations are realistic and I'd be happy with even just seeing any legal bull and am fully prepared to hunt the most inhospitable areas...
Also, I am finding that researching CO OTC units has been fairly straightforward. Unlike researching Montana units in which I find it difficult to determine which units are actually legal to hunt with a general elk tag. Is there a concise list somewhere?
Any help is greatly appreciated - Thanks!

I've done Montana General Rifle the past two seasons and highly recommend it. I hunted SW MT in one of the more popular units but never had a problem getting away from hunters. There's roughly $200 difference between the MT tag and a Colorado tag so account for that.

In full disclosure I am hunting Colorado this year but that's more to save money as opposed to pursuing better hunting. We can drive to CO and bring all our food whereas MT we had to fly, rent car, pay for lodging etc

I have hunted Colorado twice, once in the second rifle and once in the first rifle. I seen few elk on both hunts combined, they are highly pressured after a month of archery/muzzleloader and the first rifle. MT is on my list and it’s the hunt I would choose if I were you.

A 2nd season Colorado tag wouldn't be my top choice. My personal preference would be 3rd season if you want to go otc.

If you didn't know, there are plenty of 1st and 4th season tags that are easy to draw.

I live in Montana and have hunted Colorado before, the biggest issue you might have, is if you can draw a tag here. The last two years they've "sold" out the non resident tags, and with Colorado, you can just show up and buy one at any Walmart. So you have to take into consideration of that, another thing, here in my area, as soon as the orange army comes out, the elk move to the private property. The past two years we've had the shoulder hunt, and it starts in August and it has made all the elk hunts a little bit more challenging, but the biggest challenge has been the influx of people to this area. I've seen people in more spots than I've ever seen before. Good luck on your choice.

A few times Big Fin has stated that, simply based on accessibility to public land, he would hunt archery in Montana and the later rifle seasons in Colorado. Something to consider. If I were hunting rifle season in Colorado for elk 2nd season would be my last choice, though.

Back