Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado NR Archery Sheep

Zim

I have been super busy since buying a fixer upper house 3 weeks ago. Just a couple days left to consider my Colorado application this year, and little time today. So wanted to get a few other's quick opinions on if you are going to pay the $100 point fee or just use what you got. And then I have decided to switch to archery units from now on. There's not many options for NR's. Any input on these? I'm sitting on 3 + 14 I think.

Last edited:
I have been super busy since buying a fixer upper house 3 weeks ago. Just a couple days left to consider my Colorado application this year, and little time today. So wanted to get a few other's quick opinions on if you are going to pay the $100 point fee or just use what you got. And then I have decided to switch to archery units from now on. There's not many options for NR's. Any input on these? I'm sitting on 3 + 14 I think.

From the math I've seen - at the mid/high weighted point levels, I believe it equates, over time, to about 1/2 of a percentage point draw odds increase per additional weighted point for residents (obviously this changes based on the unit/hunt, but directionally correct). So, probably something slightly less than 0.5% per year for NR's. I am absolutely continuing but its apples to oranges as a resident.

As far as the NR archery units - the 2 that I am familiar with (S44 and S35) have a preponderance of timbered habitat - so glassing and stalking are more difficult than up in the open alpine. I've looked seriously @ the S35 hunt before as I hunt turkeys there and I'm pretty familiar with some of the areas where the sheep live - but the terrain and the success rates (4 archery rams harvested in the last 5 years between both R/NR) keep me away. Archery is definitely the way to go if you just want better odds of a sheep tag in your pocket.

For the time being I am still putting in for the point for both sheep and moose. Who knows if that will change.
I never thought I woulnnt be applying for sheep and moose in WY and here I am letting a dozen points go by the way side. At somepoint we are throwing good money after bad.
At this point I am still throwing it in CO

I'm staying the course and will continue to apply. Based on how many people buy points in WY for moose and sheep, I think a ton of people will be buying points in CO for the big 3.

I dumped my 8 WY sheep points the year after they jacked point fees to $100,and never looked back. I was never going to catch up to the preference pools. Siding towards applying without the extra $100 point donation. Still not made a unit choice.

Last edited:
Glad I stayed out of Wyoming starting to wish I'd have stayed out of Colorado MSG point game as well. I'm sitting at 3+2 for MSG decided to continue applying and buying points for moose and sheep but am going to just apply and not buy anymore points for goat. I plan on trying to burn my moose and sheep points on cow/ewe tags I think it's my best bet to actually hunt moose/sheep in Colorado in my lifetime.

One great decision I made long ago was to only be lured into one of the CO big three. Passed on moose & goat from day one. That would suck today to be invested in all three at $100/point! Yikes. I want out of about all these state's games. Won't re-enter once I burn points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back