Colorado Jacks

PBenjamin

Just looking for a place to find Jacks in Colorado - any help would be very appreciated.

Basically any open sage brushy BLM land. Go drive a couple dirt roads at night in those types of areas to get a feel for the population. I am not an expert and I certainly haven't been everywhere, but the highest densities I have seen in the state have been along the WY border.

I would bet there are some everywhere in the eastern half of the state. I saw several while looking for antelope in the southeastern area. I would not say there were crazy amounts where I was but I saw 15 or so in a weekend? Problem is- public land in eastern Colorado is not abundant.

Last edited:
Some of the units along the Utah border near Montrose CO have a decent amount of them. Some friends and I were able to fill our limits in about 45mins.

I'm late but still might be useful. If you're on the western slope, I've seen quite a few in unit 4 (BLM). If you're among us easterners, I've seen them at Webster SWA and around Pawnee National Grassland. Most in both areas are slightly larger than a fawn antelope.

I'm late but still might be useful. If you're on the western slope, I've seen quite a few in unit 4 (BLM). If you're among us easterners, I've seen them at Webster SWA and around Pawnee National Grassland. Most in both areas are slightly larger than a fawn antelope.
Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated

Walking the brushy areas of Pawnee grasslands and you’ll kick up more than you’ll want to shoot. I often walk with my shotgun and keep my .22 on my back. if I kick up a rabbit too far out I’ll watch where he goes then often I’ll be able to sneak over and pop it with my .22 as he’s sitting in the brush.

Back